Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion July's Online Block Party - Something Completely Different

July's Online Block Party - Something Completely Different

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The votes are in, and the winner is: And Now for Something Completely Different...

The idea behind this month's Online Block Party is to try something out of the ordinary. For example, if you've never tried cooking a pork shoulder or brisket, now might be a good opportunity. If kebabs or seafood are unfamiliar to you, maybe it's time to try them out. Or if you've seen a recent blog from Steven or there's a recipe you've always been itching to try, now's the time to try!

And "try" is the operative word here - feel free to even post your mistakes.

So step outside your comfort zone, warm up your grill or smoker, and let's see what you've got!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Well, today a Spanish (South of Spain) friend of my wife's promised to teach me how to make a proper paella. She thought my grill would be perfect for it and she was right. Armed with a giant Paella pan, We invited her (and a dozen other people to witness this event) over and she showed me the ropes!

It Starts out with Onions and red bell pepper, cooked in Corn Oil (she says Olive is too strong) and then followed up with garlic.

Then she adds the seafood, rice and stock with Saffron - Here's the master stirring it up

Everything simmers for about an hour over charcoal, We added wine about halfway through

Until we have our Paella!

Plated and fantastic! I will do this again

Wood Fired Argentine Parrilla
22.5 WSM
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

scorched_porch wrote:

That, sir, is a thing of beauty. Way to go! :thumbup:

Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

You're making me homesick for the wood grilled paellas I had in Valencia and elsewhere in Spain. Most people don't realize that great paella requires a whiff of wood smoke!

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
You're making me homesick for the wood grilled paellas I had in Valencia and elsewhere in Spain. Most people don't realize that great paella requires a whiff of wood smoke!

Same here - those pics make me want to catch a flight over there right now. Beautiful job, Scorch and Scorch's wife's friend! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

BubbaQue well done
well done

I would dive face first into that. That looks incredible. Makes me think about doing some Jambalaya.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Return to General Discussion