Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion tri tip and skirt steak

tri tip and skirt steak

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:31 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

hi guys im thinking of ordering a tri tip or a skirt steak i have never done eather what is the best way to cook a tri tip is is as tough as a flank steak how big of one should i order for 2 people ive eaten skirt steak in a restraunt but ive never ordered one from a butcher how big of a tri tip or skirt steak should i order ofr 2 people
TIMS BBQ

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:45 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

timbarber84 wrote:
hi guys im thinking of ordering a tri tip or a skirt steak i have never done eather what is the best way to cook a tri tip is is as tough as a flank steak how big of one should i order for 2 people ive eaten skirt steak in a restraunt but ive never ordered one from a butcher how big of a tri tip or skirt steak should i order ofr 2 people

Tritips don's seem to vary much in size. They average about two pounds, some a little smaller and some larger, but not by more than 1/2 lb. Tritip is kind of between a roast and a steak. I have not found them particularity tender, but they have a nice chew. I slice them thinly like I would a rump roast.

Usually, I cook them indirect, and then sear. Medium rare seems to be the sweet spot. Skirt (either order it peeled, or peel it yourself) is flat and thin. They should be seared direct and served pretty rare. The important thing is to slice AGAINST the grain. This will make the difference between tender and shoe leather. Cut it into serving size portions, and THEN slice...
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:35 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

thanks phillyjazz ive had skirt steak but i havent had tri tip i had a gastric bypass several years ago and have a lot of troube with a dence meat like roast so i think ill steer clear of the tri tip but im going to order a skirt steak the area i live in you cant find anything like these 2 cuts with out special ordering it
TIMS BBQ

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:07 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

The skirt is a nice cut, slice it crosswise against the grain. (Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvODGZUp7eM). It takes simple rubs and marinades well. I just hit it with salt, pepper, oregano and red pepper flakes.

It tends to be long and thinner at one end, so I cut it in manageable sizes so it cooks evenly.

I always serve it with chimichurri. But then again, I'm feeding Argentines.

I love it for it's wonderful beef forward taste and meaty texture.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:17 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

Lots of people use skirt just for fajitas, but I find it great as a steak. As mentioned, slicing correctly is EVERYTHING when it comes to tenderness.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:17 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

phillyjazz wrote:
Lots of people use skirt just for fajitas, but I find it great as a steak. As mentioned, slicing correctly is EVERYTHING when it comes to tenderness.

I think that goes for tri-tip as well. I find that the thinner I slice it, the more tender it is. But that seems to go for most kinds of meat anyway (except jerky).

Tim - with that in mind, if you were to slice your tri-tip very thinly, you might be able to enjoy it without any side effects. It's also called "bottom sirloin" sometimes and it also makes a decent steak. In fact, if I don't ask my butcher for a whole tri-tip, steaks are what I get. :D

If it's sliced really thinly, tri-tip is even better than the shaved roast beef I use in sandwiches. It digests more easily too.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion