Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Healthy food prep tips

Healthy food prep tips

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:20 pm
smokeybeaver well done
well done

I really liked this idea for charring meat:

"Marinade your meat. Charring proteins like beef or chicken—whether in a pan or on the grill—causes the formation of heterocyclic amines, or HCAs, which some research has tied to cancer, explains Clare McKindley, R.D., L.D., of the University of Texas. But compounds in herbs like rosemary, oregano, thyme, mint, and sage help stabilize the sugars in your meat, which in turn limits the formation of HCAs by up to 88 percent, McKindley adds. Before you cook your meat, soak it for at least 30 minutes in store-bought or homemade marinades featuring those herbs, McKindley recommends. "

A real simple tip that may make a healthy difference, I will try to incorporate this into my cooking.

Four more tips after the link:
http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/5-no-brainer-food-prep-tips-help-your-health?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-MensHealth-_-Content-Nutrition-_-NoBrainerFoodPrep

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:51 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'd use one of those marinades just for the flavor! :wink:

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:22 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ha - I read the article but when I scrolled through to the bottom, an ad for "50 Great Sex Tips" popped up.

I don't know what that has to do directly with marinating meat, but that's what I love about Men's Health magazine - they don't concern themselves with things like subtlety. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion