Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion 1st packer - finished w/pics

1st packer - finished w/pics

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:40 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

I've done a few flats before but kept saying "someday I'll go big" well that day is tomorrow providing the weather holds. I was amazed at how much trimming there is to do and hopefully I didn't butcher it to bad.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

And just to be sure, the point is removed when you wrap the flat to hold correct.
Last edited by Old Smoker on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:43 pm
jstewart well done
well done

That is a hefty piece of meat!!! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Good luck and enjoy :) :)
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:06 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good luck, Old Smoker - can't wait to see the finished results either!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:06 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

Okay finally finished. It was a modified HH/LnS. Due to what might turn into a time crunch I kind of felt I may need to push this along so I decided to take advantage of the higher temp. Sorry the pics aren't real clear and some look almost black&white but I'm using the low level cam of my not so smart phone.
First off you I didn't get a smoke ring which I believe was due to the higher cooking temp. I started at 8:00 A.M. and had it pulled to rest by 3:30 so 7 1/2 hrs.
separated the flat and point which almost fell off, wrapped the flat and chopped the point to which I added a mix of A1, ACV and worcestershire and back on the smoker @ 300 degrees for 1hr, the temp is just where it was when I went back out, I had opened all the vents. The ends could have cooked a little longer but only a few where chewy the rest were oh sooo good. The flat as I said had no ring, it was firm when I cut it but still tender, moist and a good smoke flavor. To be honest I was happy with it but will try to give myself more time on the next one. The sun never did show itself and there was a light breeze, not constant though.

Before pulling

The flat

The point

Burnt ends

Sliced really poor pic

Sky and yard
Image Image

The point was almost half the whole thing also it went all the way across when I started. :shock:

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:35 am
sroach well done
well done

Looks like job well done Old Smoker, I an only imagine how that tasted.

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job with the trimming and smoking, OS! Looks like you had the potential for some bad weather but you didn't mention any storms so hopefully nothing materialized. I would've hurried things along, too.

Post Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:30 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those pics were worth the wait, Old Smoker! Looks like everything turned out nicely, especially with the weather as a factor. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:53 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

beautiful my mouth is watering just looking at it but my wallet was akeing at the pricwe still im on my way to your house lol
TIMS BBQ

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:42 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

Tim, it was only $1.00 a pound more than the butts and all the meat prices are high right now, just a couple of months back the store where I bought this was selling butts for $1.09 a pound, last week $2.09 and some for $2.38, the brisket was only $3.00 which is just a little higher than it was a couple months ago but jeez they want $6.00-7.00 a pound just for the flat. I just had to do this before the only meat I'll be able to afford is the neighbors dog or cat .. :shock:

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:50 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Old Smoker wrote:
I just had to do this before the only meat I'll be able to afford is the neighbors dog or cat .. :shock:

I'd suggest convincing your neighbor to keep rabbits or chickens as pets. They're tastier and easier to catch. :twisted:

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:17 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Old Smoker,

That is some mighty task looking brisket! This makes me think about putting one on the smoker as it has been a really long time.....Good thing you were able buy the brisket and not have to cook some of your neighbor's animals :shock: :shock:
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:31 am
Old Smoker well done
well done

I live in a residential neighborhood that oddly enough has a bunch of critters running around, there is at least 2 dozen dear in the woods behind my house and squirel and rabbit every where not to mention I know for a fact some one up around the corner has chickens, also big turtles from the creek over the hill and lets not forget the racoons and opposums I've seen them wondering around in the road :lol: so the pets are safe ....for now... Thanks ya'll for looking, I was pleased with the results, it was so much better than the flats I've done in the past and the last of the ends went into beans and rice.

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:13 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Old Smoker wrote:
Thanks ya'll for looking, I was pleased with the results, it was so much better than the flats I've done in the past and the last of the ends went into beans and rice.

Burnt ends in beans and rice? That sounds so good it's worth a pic too! That's how I use up a lot of the end cuts of brisket and pork butt as well, because end cuts like that have a ton of flavor and work great that way. (Unless I eat 'em first, of course.) :D

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:47 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

shoot fire old smoker i mistook the weight for the price per pound lol i was ready to ask where you live that meat is 14 dolleras a pound lol
TIMS BBQ

Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:01 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well, if he bought his brisket from Lobel's he'd pay just under $20/lb!! :shock:

Return to General Discussion