Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Gifts for Dad and your Grilling future...........

Gifts for Dad and your Grilling future...........

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Trollby well done
well done

So I have used my Sunbeam Grill for almost 14 years now, and well it is at a point that I can not repair much longer for low cost.

This leads me to the up-coming Grilling season and Sales for Fathers-day.

I am looking at adding a New Gasser to my collection, old faithful is served me well all these years but not sure I want to just up and buy a Sunbeam to replace it since this unit was a special unit (think heavy cast body not thin metal or stainless)

What are you using and your recommendations?

The top of my list is:

Weber (Genesis or Summit)
Char-Broil
Brinkmann

Thanks

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My father-in-law's had a couple of Webers (Genesis, I think) for a long time and they've always worked well, and at least right now Weber's still making good products and providing excellent customer service.

Here's a thought in a different direction. If the Sunbeam's body and chassis are still in good shape, what about seeing if somebody at MATC/Madison College could rebuild/refurbish/replace the burners and controls? I'm thinking that if there's an HVAC program there might be an instructor or student in need of a class project or something on the side.

Trollby well done
well done

I worked in HVAC for 15 years and have rebuilt the Sunbeam many times.

The regulator is in need of replacing along with hoses, the size is odd-ball and only way I found one that works is to have it made but RV/Camper place for $50 or so.
The body is getting thin on bottom from years of use and cleaning and I am on year 4 of the burner replacement (again the size I need is no longer available and the replacement parts just don't fit as well).

The cooking grate needs replacement too, one side is about to wear through along with the lower grate that holds the ceramic briquets. Adding up all the replacement parts this spring cleaning of the grill and looking at about $200 or so on a 23 y/o grill

Just noticed I said 14y/o in first post, 1991 - 2014 is 23 years, lol

I don't mind spending money on quality, BUT..... If I spend $1200 on a grill that is no better than a $400 that is just stupid. I want a grill that is a grillers grill not just name or fancy looking to try and impress the neighbors

BBQ Deputy

OK, you know the Sunbeam inside and out! :lol:

Sorry, otherwise I can't help. Gas grills are basically foreign to me.

Did you go to the WPT Garden Show at the Alliant Center last month? I don't think I saw any grill booths there this year and it seems like in the past there were always a couple, and one was often for Holland Grills. I looked at one once and the price tag scared me pretty bad. :wink:

Trollby well done
well done

I am in the search phase now and trying to get a feel for what members have used or seen in use.

The good and the bad, Like I said I can spend what ever I want because I keep mine for ever and my wife said I deserve a new grill so my choice.

I just don't want to spend $1200 just to find out that a company has pretty much same unit or as good for $600

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've never had any issues with Weber grills. The Genesis is a decent mid-range unit, and the Summit is a thing of beauty - especially the fully tricked-out S-670 or E-670. The sear burner on the S-670 is a beautiful thing indeed.

Grills I have seen issues with are CharBroil, Blue Ember and Fiesta, as they've all had recalls. And I've tried several Napoleon models and they've all had issues with their heat control and with rotisseries (Napoleons have an odd-shaped lid).

One thing I've always stood by is this: don't get a grill with porcelain-coated grates. After a number of years the porcelain will eventually crack off and get in your food, especially if you live in an area with cold winters. Cast-iron or thick stainless steel grates are the better choice.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Trollby well done
well done

Out this past weekend looking at some stores for what they have.

Many have CHEAP plastic knobs on the outside that are chrome covered and Porcelain grates (YUK).

I really want cast grates or atleast Stainless or Cast as optional purchase.

I guess I am spoiled since my old unit has thick steal grates that lasted 23 years, looking at what is out so far very disappointing but none had Weber's out only had Charbroiler, Better homes unit, Backyard brand, Char-Griller, and Brinkmann.

I was told the Weber grills should be in soon, they sold out and had not restocked yet

Trollby well done
well done

So I have 3 grills I got it down too

I decided I would like to keep the cost less than $700, I am looking at building a gazebo on my concrete patio so that will be a major expense this summer (Wife said if go higher than $700 one or other)

Home Depot has some "Kitchen-Aid" grills that are new but look very well made for $500 and $600 I was looking at the $600 unit, looks and feels like the Weber just not as heavy, seems very well built

http://www.homedepot.com/p/KitchenAid-4 ... 1vZbxazZue
Stainless grates

The other grills are just same maker just different models from SEARS (includes rotisserie burner on both)
Kenmore grills, I really like two and am looking at the $400 (on-sale) unit that is regularly $600 (this unit has NICE cast iron grates)

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-4-burner-l ... ckType=G18

The second Sears one that I like has one big flaw.... Plastic knobs, but includes grill lights and other features I really like

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-5-burner-g ... ckType=G14
ImageImage

Thoughts??

BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well, that first grill (the KitchenAid) looks very suspiciously like the one my dad bought and it's given him nothing but trouble over 5 years. We've had to replace 3 sets of burners on it and that's in a relatively dry location where the grill is covered faithfully when it's not in use. Most of these rebranded grills come from one or two Asian factories and the same grill can have literally dozens of rebranded names (my dad's is a Life@Home, whatever that means).

Almost all grill knobs I've seen lately are plastic, so of the two Kenmores I'm personally leaning toward the 5-burner unit.

Kenmore still has a pretty good reputation. That extra ceramic side/sear burner comes in very handy - I use mine a lot especially for small, quick cooks. And the lights just put it over the top. In fact, that 5-burner is very similar to my own grill and I've loved (and babied) mine for 3 years now. And the plastic knobs on mine aren't that bad at all.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Trollby well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Well, that first grill (the KitchenAid) looks very suspiciously like the one my dad bought and it's given him nothing but trouble over 5 years. We've had to replace 3 sets of burners on it and that's in a relatively dry location where the grill is covered faithfully when it's not in use. Most of these rebranded grills come from one or two Asian factories and the same grill can have literally dozens of rebranded names (my dad's is a Life@Home, whatever that means).

Almost all grill knobs I've seen lately are plastic, so of the two Kenmores I'm personally leaning toward the 5-burner unit.

Kenmore still has a pretty good reputation. That extra ceramic side/sear burner comes in very handy - I use mine a lot especially for small, quick cooks. And the lights just put it over the top. In fact, that 5-burner is very similar to my own grill and I've loved (and babied) mine for 3 years now. And the plastic knobs on mine aren't that bad at all.

The Kitchen-aid warranty looks pretty good BUT...... "Made in China by Nexgrill with a licensed name from KitchenAid"
Stainless steel tube burners:
10 year LlMlTED warranty against perforation; Other burners (Side):1 year.

Grids and grates:
3 Year LIMITED warranty; does not cover dropping, chipping, scratching, or surface damage.

Stainless steel parts:
3 Year LIMITED warranty against perforation; does not cover cosmetic issues like surface corrosion, scratches and rust.

All other parts:
1 Year LIMITED warranty (Includes, but not limited to, valves, frame, housing, cart, control panel, igniter, regulator, hoses); does not cover chipping, cratching, cracking surface corrosion, scratches or rust.

Trollby well done
well done

Bummer.....

Looks like I may have to rethink my purchase:

All Kenmore grills are made in China and many are contracted through Char-Broil.
In fact some are even displayed at Char-Broils' website.
A few models look suspiciously close to Nexgrill cookers and may be from the same factory.
Available, of course, at all Sears locations and at the Kenmore website.

I may have to look at spending more for grill and not build gazebo this year

BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Trollby wrote:

The Kitchen-aid warranty looks pretty good BUT...... "Made in China by Nexgrill with a licensed name from KitchenAid"

Grids and grates:
3 Year LIMITED warranty; does not cover dropping, chipping, scratching, or surface damage.

Stainless steel parts:
3 Year LIMITED warranty against perforation; does not cover cosmetic issues like surface corrosion, scratches and rust.

All other parts:
1 Year LIMITED warranty (Includes, but not limited to, valves, frame, housing, cart, control panel, igniter, regulator, hoses); does not cover chipping, cratching, cracking surface corrosion, scratches or rust.

NexGrill - that's the name I was trying to remember. That company makes tons of grills and rebrands them for dozens of retailers.

Incidentally, those "stainless steel" burners on my dad's grill corroded into powder in just over a year, and that was in a climate with a relative humidity of 30-40%. (Alberta is very dry compared to the coast.). Plus, they were very difficult to replace as we had a lot of trouble contacting their customer service. Oh - and the frame warped, too, so the drawers wouldn't close.

And I've since read dozens of reviews about others having the same problems.

Trollby, it's your call but personally I wouldn't knowingly go near anything made by NexGrill ever again.

BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CharredGriller wrote:
Trollby wrote:

Grids and grates:

Stainless steel parts:

All other parts:

NexGrill - that's the name I was trying to remember. That company makes tons of grills and rebrands them for dozens of retailers.

Incidentally, those "stainless steel" burners on my dad's grill corroded into powder in just over a year, and that was in a climate with a relative humidity of 30-40%. (Alberta is very dry compared to the coast.). Plus, they were very difficult to replace as we had a lot of trouble contacting their customer service. Oh - and the frame warped, too, so the drawers wouldn't close.

And I've since read dozens of reviews about others having the same problems.

Trollby, it's your call but personally I wouldn't knowingly go near anything made by NexGrill ever again.

Funny, but I just helped a neighbor recondition a 12 year old Sunbeam a week ago, too. We used generic parts and they all worked fine.

Trollby well done
well done

So I went to a big garden center that also is the Weber distributor in my area.

They had every model pretty much on display and I was looking at:

Genesis S-330
Summit S-420
Summit S-470
Summit S-620

I really like the S-470 but not sure how much I would use the rotisserie and I really love the dedicated smoker burner so it really is high priced for that little difference.

Started talking with the grill guy there and he really surprised me by stating that the S-330 is the way to go, the cost is way less and for $99 you can get the smoker box kit (no burner just box and grate).

He said the 400's and 600's are nice but feels too pricey, He said sells a lot but he owns a 330 and what he recommends to family and friends.

He also said parts and mod's are way more available for the 330, so looks like I will be getting a Genesis S-330 with the smoker box kit. Add on cover and price $1,100 plus tax

BBQ Deputy

Sounds like you found a salesman actually interested in helping the customer, not just selling the most expensive item possible! Did you go to The Bruce Company?

Next

Return to General Discussion