Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Man Made Meals

Man Made Meals

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:38 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice work! I took a quick look at that recipe awhile back and based on your results it's definitely worth another visit!

Post Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:12 am
BaasPro medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nice work! I took a quick look at that recipe awhile back and based on your results it's definitely worth another visit!

This will be a staple at our house. The recipe doesn't call for grilling, so I'm sure it'll be great in the oven, too. I didn't truss the bird because I didn't have any butcher string -- is it wrong to use shoelaces?

BTW, the leftovers were just as good, especially with a little Jalapeno Herb Salsa thrown on top of everything!
21.JPG
21.JPG (178.33 KiB) Viewed 598 times
Ride on, Grill on, Wok on...
www.CountrysideFoodRides.com

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:50 am
BaasPro medium
medium

I tried a few more recipes over the last week or so. They're all so easy. First up was a quick meat-free lunch. The Parmesan Crisps went great with a Tomato Bisque, and I made the Brazilian Steakhouse Collard Greens with some CSA greens that had to be used up. The recipe for greens is almost exactly the way I stir-fry various greens when I don' t know what else to do with them, but in this case I did use olive oil and a lower heat as the recipe suggests. Good stuff.

Tomato Bisque, Parmesan Crisps, and Brazilian Steakhouse Collard Greens:
23.JPG
23.JPG (170.44 KiB) Viewed 547 times

Next up was the Planked Salmon w/ Lemon Mustard Glaze. I used Alder planks and I had to cut the salmon into fillets because it was too big for these planks. It's not the recommended method, but I like to get my planks flaming a bit before I shut the lid. I think of it as direct-contact smoke roasting. Worked great with this super simple tasty recipe.

Planked Salmon w/ Lemon Mustard Glaze:
30.jpg
30.jpg (99.6 KiB) Viewed 547 times

31.jpg
31.jpg (247.59 KiB) Viewed 547 times

Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:30 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

We had the salmon with Sorrel Pesto Pasta, and we made the Fried Caper Sauce that's in the book with a swordfish recipe. Good stuff!

Planked Salmon w/ Lemon Mustard Glaze, Sorrel Pesto Pasta, and Fried Caper Sauce:
27.JPG
27.JPG (196.68 KiB) Viewed 545 times

Lot of flavor on that fork:
28.JPG
28.JPG (179.52 KiB) Viewed 545 times

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:44 am
BBQ Deputy

Nice meals, BP! The lemon-mustard salmon sounds really good; was there any sweetness to it?

I've had parmesan crisps before and they're extremely addictive... :wink:

Post Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:04 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nice meals, BP! The lemon-mustard salmon sounds really good; was there any sweetness to it?

I've had parmesan crisps before and they're extremely addictive... :wink:

Thanks. I'm really digging this book because most of the meals we've tried have been so easy to prepare. The lemon-mustard glaze isn't really sweet -- more of a nice smooth mustard flavor that seemed to work especially well for planking. I'll add more lemon zest next time, and I always like to grill a lemon to squeeze over the fish when it's done.

I'd never heard of parmesan crisps before. I was skeptical and thought about adding salt. Glad I didn't!

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:09 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

I made the Southern Mustard Slaw to go with some sausage on a taco/wrap idea I got from a food truck in Austin named Slab BBQ. This was my first time using a food processor to cut up veggies and I pulverized the poor cabbage and carrots. Next time I'll go back to the cutting board, or figure out how to use a food processor proper, but the slaw still tasted great.

Grilled Sausage, Southern Mustard Slaw, and Root Beer BBQ Sauce:
34.JPG
34.JPG (178 KiB) Viewed 463 times

We also tried the Breakfast Nachos. This recipe was very similar to the grilled chicken nachos we like to do at home, so knowing how much the chips, cheese, and beans like some hickory smoke I cooked them in heavy smoke on the Weber for eight minutes:
33.JPG
33.JPG (221.67 KiB) Viewed 463 times

Post Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:50 am
BBQ Deputy

You definitely got the slaw chopped fine but I want to say I've seen it that way before...just can't remember where.

Very nice job on the breakfast nachos!

Post Tue May 06, 2014 1:51 pm
BaasPro medium
medium

Been back at it over the past week or so...

First up was the "Dear" Dogs, because we got bologna and hot dogs from a local farm in our CSA basket, and I had some sauerkraut and pickled jalapenos from another farm. Bam, that's about all we need.

The "Dear" Dog:
36.JPG
36.JPG (195.88 KiB) Viewed 392 times

Next up was a modified "Dear" Dog where we grilled the meats:
37.JPG
37.JPG (179.31 KiB) Viewed 392 times

This one was a surprise. On a day where we smoked a brisket and some bacon-wrapped onion rings, several people said the Sweet & Smokey Baked Beans were the best thing on the plate. What?!? They really are that good...

Sweet & Smokey Baked Beans, and other stuff:
39.JPG
39.JPG (183.81 KiB) Viewed 392 times

Post Wed May 07, 2014 12:46 pm
BBQ Deputy

I shouldn't have visited this thread before lunch... :lol:

Nice job with the hot dogs and beans but those bacon-wrapped onion rings are real eye-catchers!

Previous

Return to General Discussion