Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion ANyone know how to fix a Thermapen? Won't turn on when open

ANyone know how to fix a Thermapen? Won't turn on when open

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jeffostroff medium-rare
medium-rare

My 5 year old Thermapen instant read thermometer for the second time in about 3 years, won't turn on when I open it.

Last time I sent it back to them and paid half the price of the unit to get it repaired.

Does anyone have a how to on fixing this yourself?

jeffostroff medium-rare
medium-rare

Well turns out I fixed it on my own. On the back of it the rectangular sticker hides 2 screws, and under the round sticker on the spindle is another screw. Unscrew all three and pull open the housing. There's 2 more silver screws holding the green printed circuit board down.

The small black switch that sits against the rotating center hub spindle you can hear it click as you rotate the metal probe needle to turn on the unit. It looked pretty solid to me, but on the other side of the PCB was a tiny transistor that looked under my 10x magnifier, like maybe one of the 3 legs was iffy on the amount of solder, but I just pushed it back down on the solder pad and put it back together and now it works!

Not sure if that was the problem or if there was some loose shrapnel that got caught inside the black switch mechanism preventing a good turn on.

While I had it open I used a white plastic pencil eraser to clean the battery contacts and one of them broke, so it may have been cracked and not making good contact. Stuck some foil in on the ground side of the battery to complete contact.

Either way, ready for turkey day now.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good job! It very well could've been a poor connection between the transistor and the solder that contributed to the problem. I think this might be the first time I've read or heard about someone fixing an electronic thermometer.

Return to General Discussion