Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chickens return to the egg

Chickens return to the egg

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:19 pm
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

Because Thanksgiving was right around the corner the best thing to cook were a couple of chickens. :roll: (not my choice but I was out voted).
I had the butcher remove the backbones, wishbones and keel bones.

The chickens with salt, pepper and some old bay (if I do the old bay again Ill use more, I couldn't taste it on the finished chickens).

The chickens back in an egg being smoked @ 225

The finished chickens. I cut one into eighths for serving and saved the other for reheating/sandwiches. Due to the low temp the skin was rubbery - but thats healther for me as I didn't eat it :lol: The meat was moist and smokey. :bbq:

Next time Ill see if smoke roasting (say 350 or above) imparts enough smoke flavor for my liking.
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:31 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job! Rubbery or not, I'd eat that chicken skin! :wink:

Post Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:07 pm
jstewart well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nice job! Rubbery or not, I'd eat that chicken skin! :wink:

Ditto! Looks like it turned out well.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:48 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Baychilla wrote:
Next time Ill see if smoke roasting (say 350 or above) imparts enough smoke flavor for my liking.

Well, they look great, Baychilla. :D

I think you'll enjoy smoke-roasting. One of the things I do to boost the smoke flavor is very simple: I increase the amount of wood chunks. I also add some later in the cook at about the halfway point, as the higher heat means the chunks burn up more quickly and the smoke doesn't sit on the meat too long.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion