Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Easy soy & spicy thighs

Easy soy & spicy thighs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:52 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ever have one of those nights where you just can't decide what to do with something that's already been defrosted? Earlier this week I had some chicken thighs that needed to be cooked and I just didn't feel like tackling a recipe, so after thinking about things a bit I decided to slop them with some soy sauce and then treat one half to some hot sauce and the other to the last dregs of a bottle of sesame oil.

They sat in the fridge for 24 hours and then I started them skin-down directly over the coals. After about 5 minutes I flipped them and moved them to indirect heat. I didn't get an exact reading but based on the way the thermometer needle went flying past 350 I'm guessing they cooked at 450 or higher.

Was the skin crisp? Yes, it was! They turned out pretty good in that they were cooked through and juicy, but I think the higher heat really hurt the flavor of the soy sauce and sesame oil.

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:28 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great looking simple bird bits, Brad! :D

I've found that high heat really drives off the aromatics of sesame oil and it also kills the heat of hot sauce too. What I like to do to counteract that is to keep brushing the meat with sauce even up to the last few minutes of cooking. This works very well.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion