Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The best way to cook turkey

The best way to cook turkey

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:15 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I like the turkey cannon and beer can turkey methods, but lately I prefer using a rotisserie for turkey. I add smoke by using a few foil smoker pouches during the cook.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:00 am
BchrisL User avatar
medium-rare
medium-rare

Gustatus Similis Pullus

Large Big Green Egg
Lodge Hibachi
Charbroil Gas Grill

Post Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:23 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

My second favorite method is Rotisserie Turkey
Here are a couple I’ve done on my open Rotis
Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN_HCGT ... sBRtLnR6oQ

Post Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:53 am
QJuju well done
well done

It is hard to argue with any of the methods above as they all look super tasty. I will say I like the method of cutting up the turkey since it solves lots of inherent problems with cooking meat that has different temperature requirements. Having said that, I cook mine this way. Brined first and slow smoked. It has never failed me.

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:34 pm
jstewart well done
well done

I'm going to go with the Weber Kettle approach that we've used since I was in high school.....start coals so you have 25 briquets on each side and you add 8 briquets to each side every hour. As for prepping the bird, we've started using fresh turkeys the last 5-6 years (I think they turn out better), stuff them and coat with oil on the outside. The bird always comes out nice and moist with a crispy skin. It is amazing how simple it is.....We usually cook a turkey about 16-18 pounds and the general planning time for cooking is about 4 hours. We cook to temp, but that is good for planning.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:48 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

jstewart wrote:
I'm going to go with the Weber Kettle approach that we've used since I was in high school.....start coals so you have 25 briquets on each side and you add 8 briquets to each side every hour. As for prepping the bird, we've started using fresh turkeys the last 5-6 years (I think they turn out better), stuff them and coat with oil on the outside. The bird always comes out nice and moist with a crispy skin. It is amazing how simple it is.....We usually cook a turkey about 16-18 pounds and the general planning time for cooking is about 4 hours. We cook to temp, but that is good for planning.

And that, I believe, is a technique Steven calls "smoke roasting". It's an excellent way to cook a bird as you get good smoke flavor but also a crispy skin.

Everyone please be sure to post your Thanksgiving pics in the Online Block Party thread too! All this talk about turkey has got me excited to see your results! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:18 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

And for those of you wanting to know a few more tips, Steven released a few blog posts (and there's already another thread on one of them):
http://barbecuebible.com/2014/11/10/brining-vs-injecting-turkey/
http://barbecuebible.com/2014/11/18/12-steps-thanksgiving-turkey/

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:44 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

I brine( 8-12 hours or how much time you have) a 12-14 lbs turkey in a salt water solution ( no sugar, as sugar can burn on a long grill roast)
I hand dry the bird after the brine, then let it dry in the fridge for about one hour( better all night), then I baste it with butter.

Or, no brine and just inject the bird, them same dry in fridge and baste.

I prepare the coals by placing one chimney full lit coals on one side of the bbq grill. I place the bird breast side DOWN on a v rack then place rack with bird on cool side of grill for one hour. Then flip bird over, and rotate to bring the side cooking away from the coals now next to the coal side. Cook 45 more minutes, add wood and coal as necessary. Rotate bird again, for 20-30 minutes, or when breast temp is 160 and thigh is 170-175.

I keep my vents open initially, then partially close down top vent to keep smoke in. The BBq Grill is at 300 degrees most of the time. Perfect whole turkey for the dinner table.
Last edited by JPET on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That sounds like a nice method, J! Does the butter help crisp the skin at the lower temperature?

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:52 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

Yes, the butter helps crisp the skin. But I am cooking at 300 degrees, which, depending
on one's opinion. may be low or high.

Previous

Return to General Discussion