Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion South Carolina pulled pork

South Carolina pulled pork

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:10 pm
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

In the past I've done what I guess is a North Carolina style pulled pork. I wanted to try something a little different this time around and mosey'd my way south. The recipe I'm using comes from an episode of Cooks Country with a modification (I'm not going to use the oven - start to finish cooking will be in the Egg). I'm also for the first time going to inject the butts. It turns out I should have RTFM about how to use my nifty syringe. Oops.

Dry rub waiting to be applied

Injection/brine with a wee addition (I put about 1tbsp of Makers in - I have no idea if alcohol is a good or bad thing for injecting)

The naked butts 16lbs of boneless from CostCo. Perhaps one day I can get bone-in

The butts after injection waiting a last rub in of the rub. I found that the amount of rub the recipe made to be insufficient (top, bottom, sides as well as the interior where the bone was).

These should go on tomorrow before work and be baby-sat by cyberq wifi.
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You're off to a great start! Since you'll be at work have you enlisted anyone to mop the butts, or are you going to skip it?

I tried injecting a pork loin with whiskey once and the alcohol tended to congregate around the injection sites, which meant an inconsistent flavor throughout the meat.

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:22 am
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

Mopping will be skipped, at least until I can get home (I should probably set the pit temp low and leave it in ramp mode to help with that). While I do have someone watching out for fire I don't think it'd be nice to also enlist them in mopping duty. This time. :twisted:
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:25 pm
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

Started cooking this morning.

The CyberQ showing all is well

The brain behind the cook

Checking the dome open feature
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:36 am
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

After nervously watching online all day (the butts seemed to heat up very quickly at first) I got home and saw I was stuck in plateau land at ~175. Not wanting to be up all night I pushed the grill grate temperature up to 300.

I wound up with this

which when introduced to the sauce (I think Ill make more sauce - I dont think I had enough)

produced this -

The pork tasted good while being pulled. I guess due to the sugar in the rub the skin took a very crisp crackling like quality. It was however a bit on the sweet side. I'm looking forward to trying the meat reheated in sandwiches, perhaps with a bit more sauce.
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:21 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like it turned out great! I had reheated soup tonight and would've much rather eaten at your house. :wink:

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 am
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

Heh. I just finished a pork and hominy soup based off Posole. Now I need to make something else to fight the cold weather. Perhaps chili using short ribs that were cold smoked...
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Return to General Discussion