Board index Barbecue Board FAQs and How-To's Member Recipes

Member Recipes

From board specific to BBQ specific and back again, all the information you'll need to enjoy your stay here or in your backyard.

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:56 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ian Mack wrote:
I thought I'd better add that I named this sauce......... Mack's Red Rectum Chilli sauce, just in case there are some tenderlips out there :P

I literally fell off my chair at work today when I read this one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great sauce name, Ian!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:41 pm
Def_Munky well done
well done

I love steaks, and I appreciate a good standalone piece of beef grilled to perfection, but I also love a good marinated steak too! lol

Here is a marinade I put together for some steaks I grilled on my new CG Super Pro:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

1/2 cup teriyaki sauce

1/2 cup olive oil

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I crush the garlic with the side of a strong knife and chop that)

1 small onion or half a large onion, finely chopped

1 tsp italian seasoning

1 tbsp prepared dijon mustard

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp coarse ground black pepper

Whisk all of the ingredients together until mixed well. I let mine sit in a washed out salad dressing bottle overnight to mingle the flavors, but I doubt it's neccessary, just something I felt might make it better. Then you put your steaks in a gallon zip-lock bag (I used 3 lbs of meat), and let it sit in the fridge for about 5 or so hours, turning over every so often (I turned mine once an hour). Then I seared both sides over glowing hot coals with the grate as close to the grill as possible, lowered the grate and moved the steaks to cook indirectly until they're as done as you want them. I like rare~medium rare, so mine didn't take long. The wife likes well done, so hers were on a bit longer until no pink was inside. She made the comment that they were the best steaks she's had, as normally well done steaks are hard and tough, but these were so moist, juicy, and easy to eat that she'd love to have steak more often! lol I gave the neighbor an extra steak I had cooked and a potato, and he loved it too. So all in all, the CG and the marinade seem to be some definate winners! ;)

I also baked some good sized potatoes on the grill, and made some asparagus on the stove for sides.

I also did some great fajitas for fajita taco salads using the above marinade, just changing a few things:

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

1/2 cup worchestershire sauce

1/2 cup olive oil

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I crush the garlic with the side of a strong knife and chop that)

1 small onion or half a large onion, finely chopped

1 tsp parsley (I would have used cilantro but it makes the wife ill)

1 package Taco Bell taco seasoning I had in the pantry

ground red pepper to taste

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp coarse ground black pepper

Prepare and cook the meat the same as the above and cut into strips when it's done. This time I think I had about two pounds of meat. Then deep fry large burrito sized flour tortillas (I don't remember the brand I buy, I think it's Tia Rosa or something to that nature. Mission makes them too.) for the shell. I form the tortillas into a bowl inside of by frying basket, cut an x in the bottom so it won't swell and try to float, and use a largish, flat metal spoon to hold the bottom of the tortilla down as it fries. With 350~ 400 degree oil it doesn't take long at all. Let the bowls drain while you shred some lettuce, chop tomatoes, green onions, and whatever else you like in your taco salads. I also cut fajita sized tortillas into quarters, fry them until crisp, line a 9 x 13 baking pan with them, and layer refried beans (I used canned with a small can of green chiles mixed in), a fajita per chip, cover with grated cheese, chopped tomato, black olives, and green onions. Then bake at 350 until the cheese is good and gooey. I get about 16 nachos out of it. This all makes for some very good eats, and since it's only me and the wife, we had some good leftovers for lunch the next day! :D

I think something I may get soon will be a taco salad shell frying basket, that has two baskets that sandwich the shell. That would make things quite a bit easier. lol

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:29 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Blueberry Crumble
Method: indirect grilling
Serves 8

For the filling:
• 3 pints blueberries
• 1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)
• 1/4 cup flour
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

For the crumble:
• 1 c. quick cooking oats
• 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
• 1 c. packed brown sugar
• 1 tsp. cinnamon
• 1/4 c. butter

You'll also need:
• an 8 by 10-inch foil pan
• spray oil
• 1 cup wood chips (preferably apple), soaked in water to cover for 1 hour, then drained

1. Pick through the blueberries, removing any stems, leaves, or bruised berries. Give them a light wash. Place the berries in a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, flour, lemon zest, and lemon juice and gently toss to mix. Spoon the mixture into a foil pan you've lightly sprayed with spray oil.
2. Make the crumble. Place the oats, flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a bowl, mix until you get a semi-even, lumpy consistency, squeeze a bit of lemon on top. Spoon the crumble mixture on top of the blueberries evenly. The crumble mix is a little crumble heavy – helps hold in the flavor.
3. Set up your grill for indirect grilling. If using a charcoal grill, preheat to medium-high, then toss the wood chips on the coals. Soaked apple is best, may consider throwing in a few soaked mesquite ships for some added flavor.
4. Place the crisp in the center of the grill away from the heat. Cook until the topping is browned and the blueberries are bubbling, about 40 minutes. Serve the crumble hot or warm-ideally with vanilla ice cream.

Note: for additional delicious variations on this crumble, you can replace half the blueberries (2 cups) with diced ripe peaches, apples, or blackberries.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:18 pm
Bswilly65 rare
rare

My Pub burgers

1 lb.Ground beef
1 Vidalia onion
1/2 lb. thick cut Bacon
Seasoning of your choice
Ritz Crackers
lea&perkins worstischire sauce (to taste)
Smoked Chipotle Tabasco(to taste)

Crunble the Ritz crackers into a fine powder
Chop the onion into small pieces
chop the bacon into small pieces

Get a large mixing bowl and mix all the ingredients together until evenly mixed

Roll the mixture into good sized balls and smash into patties

I've smoked these and grilled them.Both ways are fantastic.
For a variation make the patties a little larger and stuff with shredded pepper jack cheese
it will make about 4 burgers

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:18 pm
Jaylah

These are fun if you have children young enough to be a bit gullible.

Use whatever you normally use to make hamburgers. (I.e. plain ground beef, ground beef plus seasonings, whatever.)

Shape the meat into patties that will (when cooked) completely fill up the bun.

Then take a tiny bit more of the meat and shape it into turtle arms, legs and head. (Arms and legs are rather flat, head has sort of a diamond shape.) Attach these at appropriate places on the patty. (I never bother to try to do a tail because it's so small it invariably falls off during the cooking process.) Do not let the child/ren see you doing this part.

Grill the burgers as usual, using a large enough spatula that you don't loose the "appendages." Put each burger in a bun, allowing the appendages to show outside the bun. It's also fun to put a light smear of ketchup ("blood") on the bun before serving, too.)

Serve these to your child/ren. Tell them they are "turtle-burgers." Watch them squirm and make faces for a few moments. Then tell them the truth. After that, they won't want to eat regular burgers and will insist you make "turtle-burgers" all the time.

So, for the next kid's birthday party, serve "turtle-burgers." Of course your child/ren will know "the secret" and will be hungrily devouring theirs while all the guests squirm and make faces. It's up to you and your child/ren as to how long to make them "suffer" before clueing them in. :D

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:49 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

My brother showed me this little appetizer
Large Jalepeno peppers-qnty depends on how many you feel like making
Hot Italian sausage
Shedded Motzarella cheese or what ever kind floats your boat
minced onion
---------------------------------------------------------------
Cut the tops off peppers and clean out the seeds
Brown the sausage and minced onion,drain
Mix cheese and sausage together and carefully stuff it into the peppers
Place on grill until the skin starts to blister
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:36 pm
Jaylah

This "Poultry Grill Sauce" is something my family has been using for ages. It's nice if you're grilling individual pieces of chicken and want a bit of seasoning plus something to keep the pieces moist, but don't want to do the regular barbecue sauce route (since that tends to burn if you're not real careful about it.) It also helps to crisp up the skin.

You could use it for a whole bird I suppose, but if I was going to do that, I think I'd do a BCC instead. :)

Poultry Grill Sauce from Jaylah's Dad

1 Tablespoon Poultry Seasoning
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Cups Cider Vinegar
3 Tablespoons Salt
1 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Egg

Beat the egg and the oil together. Add remaining ingredients and whisk well to combine.

Brush the sauce on the chicken every 15 minutes or so as the chicken is grilling.

This does keep for quite a long time in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator, given that it has a whole egg in it. For that reason, I usually make up a batch and then put what I think I'll use in a separate bowl (so that I don't contaminate the entire batch with my basting brush). Just make sure to shake it up good when you take it out to use it again.

You can also freeze what's left over, if you leave the lid off the jar until it's frozen.

Post Sun May 18, 2008 12:48 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

Had some left over pork chops that I had cooked with indirect method & wood chips and wanted to make something different with them. I had 3 chops that were about 3/4" thick,I diced them down tossed them into the wok,stirred them around till they were hot,made about 4 servings of Uncle Bens rice that had cooled tossed it in with the chops,added some frozen peas and 2 eggs that were scrambled prior to the fry, onion,garlic powder and soy sauce and fried till hot. Figure it had to be good,all my wife did while she ate it was smile with her mouth full pointing her fork at it and nodding her head.The lightly smoked pork added a really nice twist to this little quick meal.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:05 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Welcome to the board David415! :D

PreviousNext

Return to FAQs and How-To's