Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spiced Salmon Kebabs

Spiced Salmon Kebabs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:13 am
Griffin well done
well done

We like to try and eat as much seafood as possible since its such a healthy protein, but I often get bored with salmon. Dizzy Pig is great on it, but we've done that a lot. We've tried pestos and salsas, but I wanted something a bit different last night. Came across a recipe on Bon Appetit for salmon kebabs. I've never done a fish kebab, so why not? The recipe didn't call for squash and zukes, but I had some that needed using so I tossed them in as a last minute addition. The rub had fresh oregano, sesame seeds, cumin and red pepper flakes in it. Sounded simple, but good.

Got the kebabs all made up while the Egg was warming up to 400F. Tossed the salmon on and turned and flipped ever two minutes or so.

Was done after about 10 minutes.

Plated it up with some couscous and a salad. Pretty healthy and pretty tasty if you ask me. I like how the salmon had extra surface area to hold the spices and get more char on it while still not drying out.

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:58 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nicely done, Griff - those look fantastic. Salmon is a fish I often smoke rather than grill, but it's an excellent, firm-fleshed fish for kebabs and it takes the heat really well.

Have you ever tried doing salmon kebabs with the skin on (scaled, of course)? It often crisps right up and it's a nice accent to the other textures of kebabs like that.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:01 pm
sroach well done
well done

Those look like some awesome kabobs.. I never thought to use Dizzy Pig on Salmon, I am trying that one.

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:42 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

sroach wrote:
Those look like some awesome kabobs.. I never thought to use Dizzy Pig on Salmon, I am trying that one.

Sounds like a great idea! I'm fortunate that the Chicago suburbs have an abundance of fresh markets - produce, good quality meat, some ethnic groceries, and they've been adding nice fish cases. I can get enough of a variety of fresh fish and seafood. Can't even remember the last time I did salmon. Think it was last year and it was fresh from Lake Michigan. Hope to get some in the next few weeks.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:24 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great job, Griffin! Mrs. Chicken likes salmon so I may have to give these a try sometime.

Even though Dallas is pretty far inland I'll bet you get great deals on fresh Gulf seafood, too.

Post Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:02 am
Griffin well done
well done

Charredgriller - no, haven't tried it with the skin on for kebabs. In fact, this is the first time I've used salmon in kebabs. Might try that next time.

sroach - I forgot to mention it was Dizzy Pig's Raging River rub. Developed for salmon and seafood.

ScreamingChicken yeah, we do get pretty good deals on seafood. I think Galveston is just a bit over 5 hours away, Houston is 4 depending on traffic. Don't hold me to that as I've only gone from Dallas to Houston a few times and its been years.

Return to General Discussion