Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion My Labor Day weekend

My Labor Day weekend

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:54 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Friday night I went to the store to see what I could find. I didn't really have anything in mind, which can sometimes be costly. :lol: I wound up buying some chicken legs, a pork sirloin roast, some hot dogs for tailgating on Saturday, and some beef ribs. And as it's Labor Day I decided to cook strictly from BBQ USA.

Today's lunch was Salt & Pepper Beef Ribs. As you might guess, preparation is pretty simple. :wink:

I used cherry for a little bit of smoke but didn't cook them "all the way", since I like beef on the rarer side. Still, there was a nice range of doneness.
Image Image

I think this pretty much sums it up. I mixed the drippings with some Head Country and wound up with a really good sauce.

Did I mention that everyone liked them?

More to come...

Post Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:11 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Looks like man's best friend got a little meat on the bone. :D

Fine looking ribs! 8)

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:34 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ribs look great, Brad! :cheers:

How did the other meats turn out?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:01 pm
BBQ Deputy

I'll have details tonight, but not too bad. The sirloin roast did get a little dry but the flavor was good, and as a sandwich with sauce it wasn't that noticeable. I had one for breakfast and right now I'm eating a chicken thigh for lunch. :wink:

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:12 pm
BBQ Deputy

I hadn't planned anything for Sunday supper but Mrs. Chicken was working so I ran to the store to see what I could find. I had a couple of steak recipes in mind and when I saw some skirt steak in the meat case that's what I went for.

The recipe is from page 191: Romanian Garlic Skirt Steaks.

I opened a fresh bag of lump charcoal and got a good fire going, which meant that the steak didn't take long at all.

Good stuff! I don't see skirt steak often and at $8.49/lb I wouldn't buy much if I did, but it was worth it for this recipe. The steak had a solid beefy flavor that went well with the garlic, and what I didn't finish became breakfast the next morning.

The Labor Day dinner crowd was 5 people so I planned on pork and chicken. Unfortunately the store didn't have any butts so I decided to try my hand at a sirloin roast prepared according to the South Carolina pork shoulder recipe.
Image Image

I had better luck with a package of 4 chicken leg quarters.

The 3-3/4 lb. roast took over 8 hours low 'n' slow but the chicken needed just a little over an hour at 375.
Image Image

I figured that the roast would need to be sliced and chopped and hoped that it wouldn't be too dry.

I served Head Country sauce with the pork and a Bob Gibson/Alabama white sauce with the chicken. The pork did turn out a bit dry but the flavor was good, and the sauce and fresh buns definitely helped. The chicken came out much better as it was nice and moist with good skin, and I love the taste of the white sauce.

So all in all it was a good weekend. The weather was pretty decent and actually a bit cooler than average, which was nice since I spent a lot of time around hot grills. And Addie sure loved her rib!

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:19 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Nice weekend of cooking!
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion