Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion September's Online Block Party - Pork!

September's Online Block Party - Pork!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:09 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This month's Online Block Party could be considered an extension of last month's. Instead of just ribs, we're featuring pork of all kinds. Ribs are still on the menu, but pulled pork, roast pork, tenderloin, pork steaks, pork chops, and even pork sausages are fair game this month. The really ambitious ones among us might try more than one, or even all of the above.

Speaking of "game", wild boar would also technically count as "pork" here (as it's from a wild pig). I'm looking forward to seeing that meat in this post, if anyone's got some. :D

Let the Block Party begin! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I'm just coming off a week of spit-roasted pork loin, bacon grilled pork tenderloin, maple smoked ribs, and smoked beer sausage in Montreal. I can't WAIT to see what you guys and gals come up with!

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:43 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
I'm just coming off a week of spit-roasted pork loin, bacon grilled pork tenderloin, maple smoked ribs, and smoked beer sausage in Montreal. I can't WAIT to see what you guys and gals come up with!

Ooooh. You could always post YOUR pics here too! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:12 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Kicked September off right with ribs last Sunday with a **home made barbecue sauce** to glaze.
Did smoked honey maple sausage and kielbasa on grill tonight.
Tenderloin are on menu for this Sunday's Sunday Family Dinner.
Plus vac packed in the freezer are pork steaks, pork chops, bratwurst, and one of those pre-vac packed rib ends which is really more a boneless pork standing rib roast - 4 3/4 lb cut into 4 nice thick slices.
Going to be a porkalicious September!

** Home Made Barbecue Sauce **

I will never be able to duplicate this sauce again. I measured nothing. Started out with -

A whole bunch of cherry tomatoes that ripen to an orange color
6 or 8 whole Roma tomatoes
Tomatoes all came from a niece's garden in Indianapolis

Washed tomatoes and placed in a large stainless stock pot. Covered tomatoes with equal parts cider vinegar and a red wine vinegar made from Concord grapes. Added a healthy dose of balsamic vinegar for good measure and put on to simmer.

Added 6 cloves garlic, one good sized white onion sliced, two jalapeno peppers, three or four stalks celery, equal parts organic blue agave and honey, crushed red pepper flakes, couple healthy shakes of Trinidad Scorpion hot sauce, about 6 ounces of my favorite imported from Cleveland - Stadium Mustard, juice of two fresh limes, and about a 1 1/2 pints fresh Michigan blueberries that a neighbor had brought us. Maybe something(s) else that I've even forgotten I added.

Let it all simmer for about 5 hours. Pureed in small batches in a blender and put back on to simmer, in sauce pan, and thicken for about another two hours.

This sauce turned out really good. Nice balance of sour from vinegars and lime juice, sweet from blue agave, honey, and blueberries + blueberries added a little fruitiness, and heat from jalapenos, crushed red pepper flakes, and Trinidad Scorpion sauce, and a nice tomato flavor.

I used to glaze my ribs, took a pint to a client on Sunday night and he used on a leg of lamb that he barbecued on Monday, and a pint to my brother in Ohio and he used on pulled pork.

Wish I had measured and wrote things down. Sauce was definitely worth trying to duplicate some day.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job, Larry! Good luck duplicating the sauce.

Here are my contributions to the party. Friday afternoon I found a simple marinade recipe online: 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1 tablespoon of Montreal steak seasoning. I didn't have any seasoning so I improvised...think they speak much French in Kansas City? :lol:
Image Image Image

Mrs. Chicken picked up a couple of heirloom tomatoes at the store so I sliced and salted them, and after letting them purge for awhile I put some of the steak seasoning on them.
Image Image

I seared the pork steak on each side and then finished it indirect while the tomatoes cooked.

The pork had a lot of flavor from the marinade and was quite moist as well, and Mrs. C approved of the tomatoes.

Last night I grilled some country-style ribs from Jordandal Farms and they looked a lot different than the ones I usually see in the store; they had a lot of bone and a great red color.
Image Image

This time the recipe was from Weber's time to grill: the buttermilk-brined pork chops on page 109. I let the CSRs marinate for about 2 hours.

I think the ribs would've been excellent without the brine and with it they were extremely juicy. I need to get to the Farmers' Market and buy some more!

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:37 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Pork steaks and country ribs are both favorites of mine. I like pork steaks in a traditional way - my rendition of Mike Mills' Magic Dust from Peace, Love, and Barbecue, high heat grill, and little Maull's to glaze. In fact, I bought 4 nice ones today for later in the week.
Had planned to slice a couple tenderloins into medallions today but kids called this morning and wanted Mom's Chicago style Italian Pork. It's really good but I had a taste for pork and mesquite. Had a 4 lb boneless pork loin that I quick defrosted in a sink full of cold water (it was vacuum packed), rubbed with McCormick Grill Mates Pork Rub, and indirect grill/smoked over a 250 degree fire with mesquite for smoke.
Judging from the leftovers, everyone liked both about equally.
I grilled corn to go with and wife found a slaw dressing that she wanted to try and doctored some Campbell's Pork and Beans. She also made a peach cobbler for dessert.
All was good.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:27 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

I am headed to the San Jose Earthquake game tonight. I was asked to bring pulled pork for tailgating. Picked up a 9lb shoulder but I am tight on time. I cur it in half was on smoker for 4 hours and now tented in a 350* oven in Pyrex dish. I have not checked internal temp yet. Do you guys/gals think I should add some apple juice or broth to the dish or will tenting be enough to retain moisture. I need to leave the house in 5 hours with pork pulled and ready to eat. The reason for oven is that I have kids soccer games and can't attend to fire. I only used enough coals to get me to this point. TIA.

E

PS- I will have pics from my cell that I will try to post if they come out

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:46 pm
BBQ Deputy

I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now, Eric - how'd it turn out? I think you would've been fine without adding any additional moisture.

Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Well, I'm ready to make a perfect hog of myself. Keep the photos coming!

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:09 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
Well, I'm ready to make a perfect hog of myself. Keep the photos coming!

You too! They're always so good. :D

Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

The pulled pork cake out very well. I did not add liquid nor did I need to. I could have run the oven at a lower temp. By time we got back from soccer game is was done if not a little over done. We walked into the house after the game and my oldest said- it smells like goodness and deliciousness had a baby! I let it rest for an hour before shredding. Added some Kinders BBQ sauce mixed with apple cider vinegar. I will try to get some pics up later today

E

BBQ Deputy

Glad it worked out! I take it it was a hit at the game?

Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Here are a few pics

Even got onto the field after the game

BBQ Deputy

The pork looks good - nice smoke ring!

BBQ Deputy

Yesterday I was looking in the grocery store meat case for some pork chops and came across these. They were labeled "chef's choice" or "chef's cut" or something like that but to me they look like they could be sirloin chops, and I chose them over some thick boneless loin chops because of the fat. :wink:

The plan was to make Pork Chop Calzones (from How to Grill so I also bought some Cook's smoked breakfast ham (couldn't find any prosciutto), some pepperoni, and some Provolone. I cut the pepperoni and cheese into matchsticks and rolled them up in the ham.
Image Image

I wrapped a basil leaf around each ham roll and then stuffed them into the chops, which were then topped with sage leaves and olive oil.
Image Image

I seared each side (the olive oil and sage leaves smelled great when they hit the grill) and then moved them to indirect heat to finish.

Next time I'll get ham from the deli because it'll be more thinly sliced; the thickness of the ham reduced the amount of cheese and pepperoni I could use. Also, I thought I cut the pockets deep enough but clearly I could've gone a little more. Still, the flavor was good and I really liked the extra fat.

Next

Return to General Discussion