Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Two More Hatch Chile Cooks

Two More Hatch Chile Cooks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:21 am
Griffin well done
well done

These are probably the last two I'll do for awhile. Sunday, I cooked up a batch of Hatch Chile Pork Stew. Not sure if it was traditional, just kind od cobbled together a few recipes. Used 5 mild and 4 hot Hatch and 3 serranos, some tomatillos, 3lbs of pork, two onions, some cilantro and a few other things. Some parts got cooked on the Egg and some got cooked inside (boiling water is best done indoors)

Roasted the chilies and peppers

Browned the pork

Dumped it all in a dutch oven and onto the Egg it went, 350F and hung out for close to two hours

Served it up with a cold beer and garnished with Cotija cheese, sour cream, cilantro, tortilla strips and a lime. Also had some fresh Hatch flour tortillas on the side.

Last night, Mrs. G wanted a burger and happy wife = happy life, not to mention I like burgers.

Took some of the leftover stew from Sunday, pulled the pork out of it and put it on the burger along with some Havarti cheese.

Pretty darn tasty, but messy burger.

The butcher at Central Market told me they are wrapping up Hatch Chile on Wednesday. I'm ok with that, ready to move onto something else, but I do have three lbs at home that I need to roast and freeze to get me through the rest of the year. Guess I know what I am doing after work. :)

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:18 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I think that burger would pass muster with any green chile cheeseburger fan - looks great!

Did a lot of the heat cook out of the stew or was it still fairly spicy? I'll bet it'd be perfect for a mid-winter Sunday supper.

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:14 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Alright Griffin, when I get home I'm blamin' this on you! :lol:

Stopped by Central Market at lunchtime and picked up some of those hatches. The girl at the checkout register asked me if they were hot or mild... I said we could bite one and find out. I didn't know they had different heat levels. I told her which bin I got them from and she said they were the hot ones. Guess I got lucky! :twisted:

BTW, that's some mighty fine lookin' vittles you got right there! Even after gorging on two burger last evening, that looks terrific! :D

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:45 pm
sroach well done
well done

Can I book my vacation to your backyard now?????

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:13 am
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

Yes, please invite me too ... drooling right now over the stew and the creative use of it for the burger :bbq:

Return to General Discussion