Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hatch Chile Lime Wings

Hatch Chile Lime Wings

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:21 am
Griffin well done
well done

I love wings so much, it just seemed natural to see if I could somehow incorporate Hatch Chilies into them. Looked around the internet for awhile, but I couldn't for the life of me find a recipe that included Hatch and wings. Found a few that used green chilies, but not Hatch. So I took one and used it as a base to come up with my own recipe.

First thing was to roast the chilies and peppers at 500F on the Mini to get them all charred up.

The chilies and peppers were then skinned, deveined and deseeded and tossed in a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients for a marinade. Wings got marinated for about 3 hours. Then I removed the wings from the marinade and brought it to a boil for ten minutes so I could use it as a baste while the wings cooked. The Egg was set up for a raised direct cook at 400F.

I grilled the wings for about 30 minutes, basting them every 5 minutes. And of course, when I have wings, I usually have tots.

All I can say is WOW!

Those were some good wings, easily landing in my top 5. Not too spicy, just a bit of a burn on the lips, but the fresh squeezed limes really made it unique. Gonna have to make these again. I just hope that if I use Anaheim peppers once Hatch Chile season is over that they will be just as good.

Ingredients
•5 Hatch Chilies (I suppose you could use Anaheim if Hatch isn’t available), roasted, skinned, de-veined and de-seeded
•2 jalapenos, roasted, de-veined and de-seeded
•3/4 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice
•1/4 cup olive oil
•1 Tbsp soy sauce
•4 cloves of garlic
•2 Tbsp paprika
•1 Tbsp McCormick’s Grill Mates Lemon Pepper with Herbs
•1 Tbsp sugar
•1Tbsp salt
•1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
•2.5 lbs chicken wings

Toss everything in a food processor, but the wings, then let marinate. I went 3 hours as that was all the time I had, longer would probably be bettter and hotter. Remove wings, reserve marinade. Bring marinade to a boil, reduce and let simmer for 10 minutes. Grill wings 400F raised direct for about 30 minutes, basting and turning every 5.

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:40 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those wings look great! Hopefully your best friend got a treat of a different sort.

I'm definitely going to give your marinade a try. I've never seen Hatch chiles in the stores here so I'll have to try to find the Anaheims.

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:41 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Wings were next on my list but my wife wants burgers. :wink:

Those wings look amazing!

So which "Hatched" first the chicken or the pepper? :lol:

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:52 am
Griffin well done
well done

ScreamingChicken - I hear they are very limited to areas around New Mexico mainly. We get them here in Texas, but the season is so short, almost over now. I have no idea how they will stack up next to Anaheims. From what I read, Anaheims came from seeds from Hatch, but they say the soil and climate make all the difference. Whether that is true or not, or if its just some big marketing ploy, I have no idea....

Bob - we might have burgers tonight. Let's see if I can incorporate some Hatch Chile into that. :bbq:

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 pm
sroach well done
well done

Griffin,

Nice looking wings, I can imagine they didn't last long.

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:39 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow, Griffin, that's a great recipe! I've got Anaheims in the store around here but still no Hatch chilies.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:15 am
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

You are a genius with hatch chiles!

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:45 am
Griffin well done
well done

Thank you Christine. This is actually the first year I've ever cooked with them. Roasted up 3 lbs the other day and peeled them and froze them so I can have some throughout the year since they are only available August and early September.

Post Fri May 02, 2014 3:48 pm
batman raw
raw

Wow it looks delicious! I'll try to do it myself!

Post Fri May 02, 2014 3:56 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Looks yummy, now I want wings for dinner

Return to General Discussion