Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Quick Sunday Lunch

Quick Sunday Lunch

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 am
Griffin well done
well done

I had to think about it yesterday, but finally figured out its been two weeks since I've fired up a grill. Part of that time, I was in Vegas and most of that time Mrs. G was out of town working one show or another (just in the second half of July she worked Atlanta, Chicago, Philly and Vegas to give you an idea). Kind of hard to get motivated to grill when its just yourself and the heat is pushing 100 degrees. Well, yesterday I decided to break that streak/drought. Nothing fancy, mind you, just some hot Italian sausages. Johnsonville this time as I just realized we are totally out of hot Italian sausage. Guess its time to make some more. Anyway, while Mrs. G was getting the Pioneer Woman's pot roast recipe all prepped and ready to go, I poured a lil bourbon and coke and me and the dogs stepped outside to fire up the Mini and get the sausages going.

It was hot, and I suffered through it with the help of my cold drink, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Served it up with on our best China (cuz it was Sunday and who wants to do dishes?) with some Chee-tos and another cold beverage. Let me tell you, it was hard work, but I know feel properly motivated and we've got some leg quarters and some 1.5" thick pork chops that need to be brined and grilled up later this week. I think I can handle it.

As for the Pioneer Woman's pot roast...pretty darn tasty, but I forgot to take pictures. I liked the fact that it didn't use any cream of this or that or the other soup or Lipton soup mix. Just beef broth, red wine and veggies I think. Anyway, gave me a reason to have some wine for dinner. Couldn't let the remainder of that wine go to waste, now could I? Maybe next time I can convince Mrs. G to cook it on the Egg instead of in the oven...

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:51 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Your dedication is most admirable, G! :wink:

I think cooking the pot roast on one of your BGEs is an excellent idea, especially if you can get a little touch of smoke into it!

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I don't do hotdogs but I'll most definitely do a bratwurst! Or two... :bbq:

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:03 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

We now have Grif, Bob, and The Chicken at genius level. Charred's gone super genius.
Sometimes simple is the best! Firing up for just me is no problem. When I worked the 2:00 P.M. til 12:30 or 1:00 A.M., I'd think nothing about getting home at 1:00 or 1:30 Saturday morning, after a long week, pop a brew, light a fifth of a chimney just to do a dog or two, maybe a couple brats or Italians, or a few burgers. Hey, after a long week, a man's got to eat and relax a little. If any of my neighbors were still awake and looked out a window, I'm sure they're thinking "What's that goofy grill guy neighbor up to now?" Those who have tasted what I do during normal grilling/barbecueing hours know what I'm up to. Suprised no one ever, if they had a window open, groggy with sleep and smelling smoke, never called the FD on me.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:25 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow - simple is right. That's a sausage on a bun with Cheetos more or less, and with no toppings at all. But sometimes simple is just right, too. I love a good Italian sausage just like that.

And I love the fine china pattern as well. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 am
jhumpert well done
well done

I used to stop and get hamburger at 7AM after working 3rd shift and go home and fire up the gas grill and be cooking me a couple burgers by 7:45 AM before showering and heading to bed for the day until the wife got home. Nothing better than grilled burgers with tomato and onion at 8:00 AM.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:42 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hey Griff,

Just ran across these bratwursts that I did on 6 Jul 2013 ('bout 5 weeks ago). Thought I'd share them with you. :wink:

DSCN0699.jpg
DSCN0699.jpg (81.04 KiB) Viewed 2242 times

They were grilled on our fire pit over an all mesquite wood fire.

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:44 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griff, I picked up a couple of packages of both hot and sweet Italian sausages this weekend because of this post. I did it just to make sure I can have these on the menu from time to time. :bbq:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:58 am
Griffin well done
well done

Mmmm...brats. Love me a good bratwurst, Bob. You've been gone a long time so I don't know if you are aware that we started making our own sausage. Now you got me wondering if I got any brats in the freezer or if I need to make some more.

Bratwurst Recipe

We've also done Italian sausage which I know we are out of and need to make more of once things slow down around here.

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:09 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I love that shot of the brat piece being squeezed!

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:40 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I was not aware that you rolled your own. 8) I've always wanted to do that.

Very impressed. :D

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:09 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

jhumpert wrote:
I used to stop and get hamburger at 7AM after working 3rd shift and go home and fire up the gas grill and be cooking me a couple burgers by 7:45 AM before showering and heading to bed for the day until the wife got home. Nothing better than grilled burgers with tomato and onion at 8:00 AM.

I used to work a shift that got me home anywhere from 12:30 A.M. to 2:00 or 2:30. Nothing to fire up at that time on a wee Saturday morning, pop a brew, light a grill, and do a couple dogs, brats, Italian sausage, or what ever for a little snack before going to bed.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 pm
jhumpert well done
well done

Cactus1 wrote:
I used to work a shift that got me home anywhere from 12:30 A.M. to 2:00 or 2:30. Nothing to fire up at that time on a wee Saturday morning, pop a brew, light a grill, and do a couple dogs, brats, Italian sausage, or what ever for a little snack before going to bed.

Sounds like a good way to do the wee mornings after a night at work.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Return to General Discussion