Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Charcoal Use ...

Charcoal Use ...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:05 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I'm quickly approaching 100 lbs. of charcoal used since the middle of June. Not many days missed firing up a grill or smoker since the middle of June.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:59 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's around 3 pounds per day on average...you've been busy!! :thumbup: I think I've gone through maybe 4 or 5 bags the whole spring/summer so far.

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:49 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
That's around 3 pounds per day on average...you've been busy!! :thumbup: I think I've gone through maybe 4 or 5 bags the whole spring/summer so far.

And I recycle charcoal ... Vents on my Weber's "snuf" charcoal out so I only light enough new to catch the old. Why I don't know, but I do dump old and start fresh once a week, usually when I "fire up" on Sunday.
Yeah ... Been busy but I have the time, enjoy it, and we all enjoy what I pull off of the grill or smoker.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:39 pm

I've used about 50 pounds of lump and about 40 pounds of briquettes since Memorial Day, and I generally use wood splits when using the CharGriller.
BTW I also reuse the charcoal in my kettle.

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:23 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Bought a bag of locally produced, small batch, all natural hardwood briquettes yesterday - Grove - produced in Cedar Grove, WI. They also have lump. Will burn some today and if I like it, and I think I will, will make a run to Cedar Grove next week and stock up.
Can never have to much charcoal on hand.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:55 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You shouldn't have to go that far to find Grove unless you're planning on stocking up. It's available pretty widely throughout southern and southeastern WI.

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:05 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
You shouldn't have to go that far to find Grove unless you're planning on stocking up. It's available pretty widely throughout southern and southeastern WI.

Yeah, but I live in SW suburb of Chicago and I've never seen it down here. I haven't opened the bag yet. Still in the trunk of wife's car. I will come to Wisconsin to stock up if I like it when I open it. I normally use the Trader Joe's (Rancher) + I'm burning through a dozen bags of the RO that I got at Menards last month for $2.99 a bag after mail in rebate. Did have to open a fresh bag of of RO lump yesterday to fire one of the WSM's. I'm right around 120 lb. of briquettes since I started this thread.
Another thing that I'm doing is ripping up my old charcoal bags and using to start my chimney. Newspaper recycles and I'm saving room in my trash containers.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion