Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion $100,000 Hamburger ?!

$100,000 Hamburger ?!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:06 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Read how Erin Evenson won $100K for her 7 Train Green Curry Burger at the Sutter Home Built a Better Burger Contest this year. http://barbecuebible.com/2013/07/14/the-100000-hamburger/#.UeaV15U5tlI

Come on Board members--make me proud. What's YOUR million dollar idea?!

Post Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:56 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I wonder what the culinary backgrounds of the contestants are; some of those burgers contain ingredients and flavors I'd never think of in a million years!

Post Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:10 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
Read how Erin Evenson won $100K for her 7 Train Green Curry Burger at the Sutter Home Built a Better Burger Contest this year. http://barbecuebible.com/2013/07/14/the-100000-hamburger/#.UeaV15U5tlI

Come on Board members--make me proud. What's YOUR million dollar idea?!

If I told everyone I wouldn't be able to win $100,000... :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:17 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I'm not a veggie guy on my burgers - back in the 1960's when fast food was fast and chains used real ingredients, I had a Big Mac type burger from a competing chain and when I took my first bite the lettuce was so fresh that a ladybug crawled out of my sandwich. I let it fly away and checked to see if there were more before finishing my sandwich.
I do like a wide variety of toppings and use the freshest beef - usually a chuck sirloin mix - I do not grind my own but will mix the chuck and sirloin. Season in a variety of ways but usually use Weber Grill Creations Gourmet Burger Seasoning. I usually do not buy fancy buns - cheap store brand are OK - I once worked in a commercial bakery and know they are the same as the almost double the price national brands. Bakeries just change the wrapper for the store brand. I will buy a specialty bun from time to time.
Not going to win me any $100,000 prizes but my favorite burger is a 1/2 lb medium side of medium rare burger topped with a nice Wisconsin Baby Swiss, grilled or sauteed mushrooms, some jalapeno slices, and my favorite, imported from Cleveland, Stadium Mustard.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:58 pm
chrome46 raw
raw

Here is my perfect hamburger. No filler, No binder, No wet ingredients.

2 kg lean ground beef (4-5lb)
1 kg ground pork (2-3 lb)
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili pepper
1/2 tsp sugar (pref brown)
1/2 tsp salt

In a large bowl layout the meat so that as much of it is exposed as possible and sprinkle the seasoning evenly over the meat.
Fold the meat on top of itself and work the meat until everything is evenly distributed, but as little as possible.
Grab a handful of meat and roll between your hands to form a ball. This step helps the meat to stick to itself.
Repeat until all the meat has been rolled into equally sized balls, then form each ball into a patty (standard or bagel {doughnut burgers})
I find it best to place them on cookie sheets and then place them in the freezer for 10 mins so they firm up. (they also freeze well with parchment paper separators)

** i started out just using the basic rub in Sauces, Rubs and Marinades until I ran out one day and made this up on the fly.

***The use of pork and lean ground beef provides the right amount of juice so that you don't need wet agents and the working of the ball eliminates the need for binder (egg)

Also, this started from the doughnut burger recipe in SR's Beer Can Chicken book, and transformed from there.

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:47 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Went to a local burger comp today that winner is going to Las Vegas for food championships in November to compete for $10,000 in burger and qualify for $100,000 Grand Champion - Champion of each of 7 categories will compete for Grand Champion and the $100,000. 18 teams or individuals competed today - about 1/2 local restaraunts and 1/2 back yard guys. Saw some great burgers put together by all and everybody had a lot of fun.
Thought about entering but wanted to see what this was all about. I will enter next year and I have an idea written out but sure I'll come up with more to think about and taste test. 15 got a nice plaque indicating that they were a Local Finalist for the World Food Championship. Top three got a little nicer plaque + winner is going to Vegas to compete in November.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:40 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I interviewed a couple winners and they had the following tips:

1. Read the rules super carefully and make sure your recipe follows the rules to the letter. This includes using (or not using) certain ingredients, listing them in the required order, etc.)

2. Grammer and punctuation count. Make sure your recipe and essay are written in proper English. Have someone proofread for you. Even I still have someone else proofread important docs. ($100K winning recipe is an important doc.)

3. Make your entry clever and interesting. With ingredient combinations that will make the judge sit up and take notice. Tell a story that shows your personality. Make their mouths water!

Good luck to all and do us proud by winning!

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:29 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

At the local level, from talking with the contestants, it seems pretty easy to enter. Know when you get to the World Championships that it's a different story. I'm already jotting down ideas, created a WORD file, and will enter locally next year. Who knows, cooking competitions are a crap shoot, you can be the best and have a bad day. I could be the $100,000 winner next year or get shut out locally. In any event I'll have fun, try some different things with my burgers, and still walk away with a good time and a nice plaque that says I'm a "World Food Championship Local Finalist".
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion