Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The Best Book on BBQ I Have Read in a LONG Time

The Best Book on BBQ I Have Read in a LONG Time

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Hi, everyone,

The best essay on BBQ I have read in a long time is the first section of Michael Pollan's brilliant new book Cooked (Penguin Press).

Check out my review, plus a list of five Pollan BBQ tips and recipe for North Carolina vinegar sauce:

http://barbecuebible.com/2013/07/11/the-philosopher-of-barbecue-michael-pollan-his-new-book-cooked/#.UeAaX5U5vFI

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It sounds like a pretty good book. While I enjoy reading a barbecue recipe book as much as anyone, sometimes it's nice to approach the subject from a completely different angle.

Cactus1 well done
well done

I have and refer to frequently all of Steve's books. I have never sat down and read any of them word for word. I am currently reading word for word cover to cover Husbands, Hart, and Pyenson's "Wicked Good Barbecue ..." Forward by some guy named Raichlen. This is the most "over the top" barbecue book I have ever read and first that I've read cover to cover since Mike Mills' and Amy Mills Tunnicliffe's "Peace, Love, and Barbecue". Over time I want to do each and every recipe in" Wicked Good Barbecue ...".
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Attrill well done
well done

I definitely enjoy Michael Pollan's books. While he certainly has a strong point of view he isn't dogmatic, and is always researching and learning more.

The book that taught me the most about BBQ is actually Julia Childs' "The Way To Cook". I got the book as a present the year it came out and everything I've cooked since then owes a lot to that book. I can't read any recipe now without relating it to a "base" recipe in one way or another. I feel the same way about The Barbeque Bible for anything I cook over live fire. Those two books form the foundation of all my cooking.

A few years ago I picked up "Seven Fires" by Francis Mallmann. I've gone through every recipe in it (except for "Una Vaca Entera"). It is simply an incredible book - I now have three books that I consider to be foundation books.

Cactus1 well done
well done

I have been converted! Next book I am going to buy is "Cooked: ..." I've heard of and kind of knew who Michael Pollan is but have never read or browsed any of his books.
My first wife passed away suddenly in May 1996. She was a very good amateur gourmet cook. She was scheduled to start taking classes at Le Cordon Bleu in July 1996. Her tuition bill arrived the day I returne home from her interment. We lived in the Chicago suburbs and Cordon Bleu's only North American school, at the time, was in Ottawa, Ontario. She bought and read cook books for relaxation - She also had every issue of Gourmet Magazine from 1971-1996. They were all indexed. She had a little over 1600 cook books. I kept very few of her books - one was Walter Jetton's, a 1964 edition, BBQ book. I sold a few, gave some away, and donated the rest and the Gourmet's to local community college culinary program. I did go through the Gourmet's indexes and photocopied every BBQ/grill recipe and article, including all of their annual BBQ/grill issues (minus all of the ads). I have about 4 1/2 loose leaf binders of nothing but Gourmet barbecue and grilling.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion