Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Simply The Best Brisket in Texas

Simply The Best Brisket in Texas

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:06 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Read all about my first choice on today's blog (www.barbecuebible.com). Where do YOU go for the best brisket (besides, obviously, your backyard)?

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:27 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Finding good brisket around here is pretty tough. It seems like the majority of places serve it shredded but Brown's in Delavan, WI does a nice job with sliced brisket. And back in 2009 (I think) I had a pretty good version at The Smokin' Coop outside Belvidere, IL.

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:05 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

Piggy's BBQ in Tallahassee did a pretty good job with their brisket the last time I was in there. Sliced and tender with a lot of good flavor.

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:08 am
Griffin well done
well done

Haven't found much in Dallas that I care for, but when we head down to the ranch, we always stop in Lockhart. I think Black's has the best brisket hands down, Smitty's can be hit or miss and Kruez is ok. Haven't tried Franklin's in Austin yet, but following his method on his youtube video, I cooked the best brisket I've ever done. Strictly salt and pepper 50/50.

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:02 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I find that most "restaurant" brisket pales when compared to what we produce in our backyards. A couple of reasons; cutting cost, mass cooking, and holding it too long. Eating out is mostly hit & miss. But when I do go out locally, I usually hit the Railhead, or Spring Creek. Love the hot bread at Spring Creek!

What I really like to do though, when traveling, is to hit a hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint that I've never been to before.

Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:10 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Unfortunately, the only two places that served a good brisket in Edmonton are both gone. Smokey Joes served a marvelous one - tender and juicy with a lot of smoke flavor. Wolfie's served a whole different type of brisket: Montreal Smoked Meat. That stuff was absolutely the best MSM I've ever had outsode of Schwartz's in Montreal.

The only place that serves brisket up here now is a crud joint called "Smokehouse BBQ". I'd rather eat boiled boot leather.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:55 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Haven't been to Franklin's yet. Hill Country barbecue is all so good it's hard to pick a favorite but like the Chisholm Trail's in Lockhart but Kreuz's for clod. Arthur Bryant's in Kansasa City is a s good as I've ever had and much better than most. Can't comment on my brisket. I haven't done one in a year or so. Plan to do one in next few weeks.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:11 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Bob-BQN wrote:
What I really like to do though, when traveling, is to hit a hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint that I've never been to before.
Amen to that! And not just barbecue, either...anything that looks like it could be good is fair game for me. Nowadays when I know I'm going to be on the road I call up Google Maps just to look for places to eat... :lol:

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:19 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Yeah, but many good places cannot be looked up. Seems I'm seeing more and more pits on street corners, not around here, but get downstate, into southern Indiana, Missouri, Kentucky, and Tennessee. If you get off of the interstates and travel some of the roads less traveled you'll find them. We've traveled US Rt 45 from Paducah, Ky all the way to within a mile and a half of my house just as an alternative to I24/I57/I80/I294. Bought a Garmin a couple of years ago - wife loves it - I figure, I know the general direction, I'll get to where I need to go, sooner or later just by dead reckoning. I've never been lost, just seen places that I've never seen before or hadn't planned to see mre than once. But I have found some good places to eat along the way that I never would have known were there.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion