Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion July's Online Block Party - Chicken!

July's Online Block Party - Chicken!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:14 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
Great posts, all! The chicken enchiladas make me drool and the chicken thigh kebabs with Planet Barbecue Malaysian Spice Paste make me want to board a plane headed for Southeast Asia immediately. (Hey, love the skewers, too.) We've been getting some really nice chicken here on Martha's Vineyard lately: free range birds from local farms. We spit roast them on a kettle grill with a handful of wood chips on the coals. I LOVE these block parties! Keep photos and recipes coming.

Thanks, Steven! It's actually the Kelantan spice paste from Primal Grill, but I think that's the same thing anyway.

Those skewers are actually a "small", I think, as they are 3/8" wide - and they are great for shrimp too. I really have to get some medium (5/8") and extra-large (7/8") ones for some other dishes. I especially like the extra-large ones as they'd be fantastic for ground meat kebabs like kofte or adana kebabs. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:53 am
Griffin well done
well done

Sitting around watching tv yesterday (instead of cleaning house before Mrs. G got home like I should have) and I got a hankering for some wings. So I ran up to the store and while getting the wings I spotted a large package of legs. I figured since I was firing up the Egg, why not fill it all the way up and get some protein for lunches later this week? Wings got dusted with Dizzy Pig Firewalk and the legs got a mix of Stubb's and Dizzy Dust. Got the Egg fired up to 400F with some mesquite for smoke and a raised direct cook with my Adjustabe Rig.

Lunch is served, the sauce was just the standard 1/2 cup Frank's, cut the butter from 1/3 to 1/2 stick, juice of half a lemon, some garlic powder, onion powder and a coupla squirts of sriracha. Tasted it and it wasn't hot enough, so some red pepper flakes, cayenne and more sriracha.

Talk about lip burning!! Good stuff. Legs took a bit longer, but now I have some lunches for later in the week.

Gotta say it was a pretty fine day. Egg was chugging along doing its own thing, the rain was coming down all day not affecting the temps of the Egg, but the weather...so nice. Can't believe that it's July in Dallas and temps were probably in the 80's! They're saying we're not even going to make it to the 80's today. The only problem I had with this cook was my thermapen...I couldn't find it. Tore the house apart looking for it before I remembered I left it at a buddy's house the weekend after 4th of July. Had to use a slow ass probe that goes with my Tru-temp timer and boy is that thing slow. Oh well. Still a nice Sunday afternoon.

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:45 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice work! Leftover drumsticks are great for lunches since 1 hand's still free! :lol:

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:07 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Some nice pictures of great looking chicken. Month is half over and I haven't done chicken since the end of June. Going to have to pick some up and get on the grill or in the smoker soon!
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:39 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very good-looking grub, Griffin! I know some folks think that drumsticks are the "red-headed stepchild of chicken", but it's always fun to prove them wrong! :D

I've been cooking up a fair bit of chicken this month but I'm having smartphone issues. Hopefully the pics will be up soon.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:18 pm
BBQ Deputy

My (first?) entry was inspired by the mayonnaise-slathered turkey breast recipe in BBQ USA. I started with a package of 8 thighs.

I minced some fresh basil and added it and some dried oregano to some Hellman's mayo.

The mayo went under the skin, over the skin, on the meat side...basically anywhere it could go. Kind of like an Alabama white sauce but before cooking instead of after. And a plate fulled of mayo-doused anything just doesn't look all that good. :wink:

I grilled the chicken indirect at 350-375 with some apple chunks for smoke, and the skin really colored nicely. They took about an hour to hit 170+ degrees.

I also jump-started a couple of potatoes in the microwave and put them in the drip pan, hoping that the mayo and chicken fat would give them some good flavor.

Time to eat! Mrs. Chicken and I both thought everything turned out really good; the chicken was cooked through but still plenty moist, and the smoke didn't totally overpower the herbs. The potatoes didn't pick up as much from the fat as I'd hoped, but with a little butter, salt and pepper they were just fine. And as an added bonus the leftover thighs reheated nicely in the microwave.

That's it for me for awhile...see you in a week!

Post Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:24 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Gorgeous skin. Moist meat. Nice smoke ring. Spuds I could eat right off the screen. Nice work S.C.! Why am I looking at this before breakfast?!

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:01 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Steven wrote:
Gorgeous skin. Moist meat. Nice smoke ring. Spuds I could eat right off the screen. Nice work S.C.! Why am I looking at this before breakfast?!

Because you wish you were having for breakfast!
Picked up a bag of small batch, produced in Cedar Grove, WI, hardwood charcoal, a nice selection of Penzy's rubs and spices, and 7 lb of legs and thighs yesterday.
Today's Sunday Family Dinner was already planned but chicken is on my menu for Monday.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Did my legs and thighs last night. 1st "official" chicken of July. Used a "hodge podge" mix of rubs that I had combined to get some jars, with just a little rub in them, out of my pantry. A little white oak for smoke.
Going to use some of the leftover for a barbecue cheesecake on Wednesday. I will post a recipe Thursday morning.
The rest will be used for chicken salad by step-son and daughter-in-law.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:20 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've been cooking a fair bit of chicken every weekend this month, but the pics from my camera phone haven't been that great. But here's what I have, such as it is:

This is just a basic rotisserie chicken with some sugar-reduced Basic rub on it. The chicken is just a Utility grade chicken I picked up for less than $5.

Here it is at the halfway point...

And here it is almost done. Not a great shot, but the skin is a wonderful mahogany brown on the other side of the breast and bottom of the bird.

I know it's like cheating, but there were no finished pics as the bird disappeared that quickly. I seriously thought I had a shot of the bird all plated and ready to go, but it's a blur because someone bumped me on the way to the table. I don't blame them as this was one of the best birds I've had in a while. :twisted:

I was aiming for something like the rotisserie chickens you see in the supermarkets. However, I learned that even with a $5 utility chicken, some basic spices and a good grill and rotisserie, anyone can do it better. If I cook any more chicken this month I'll try to get some better pics.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:34 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Not patting myself on the back or anything, but ... I can flat out nail chicken!
My wife has told a nationally known, former Memphis In May Champion (I know MIM is all about the pork) and local pitmaster/owner of our favorite local barbecue place - he is 2011 Best Sauce winner at Best of The West in Reno - "You make great chicken, but Larry's chicken is better than yours."
I am not that presumptuous to think that my chicken is better than theirs, but I do make pretty dang good chicken.
I do whole chicken from time to time but prefer bone in skin on breasts, thighs, and legs.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:21 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Not patting myself on the back or anything, but ... I can flat out nail chicken!
My wife has told a nationally known, former Memphis In May Champion (I know MIM is all about the pork) and local pitmaster/owner of our favorite local barbecue place - he is 2011 Best Sauce winner at Best of The West in Reno - "You make great chicken, but Larry's chicken is better than yours."
I am not that presumptuous to think that my chicken is better than theirs, but I do make pretty dang good chicken.
I do whole chicken from time to time but prefer bone in skin on breasts, thighs, and legs.

OK - then pics would be nice to back that up. Even not-so-great ones like mine.... :twisted:

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:01 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:

OK - then pics would be nice to back that up. Even not-so-great ones like mine.... :twisted:

Know they're not hard to do. Have to learn this pic post thing one of these days. I take pictures of a lot of things but they're in the camera.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:53 pm
BBQ Deputy

Maybe we can make a deal...you cook the chicken and I'll show up with my camera and appetite! :lol:

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:15 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Maybe we can make a deal...you cook the chicken and I'll show up with my camera and appetite! :lol:

You're not that far and are always welcome. Let me know when you're leaving the house. I'll light the grill and prep the chicken. It'll be ready when you pull into my driveway.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Previous

Return to General Discussion