Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pitch perfect pulled pork

Pitch perfect pulled pork

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:20 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

For those of you who come straight to the Barbecue Board (good for you), please take a look at this week's blog on Pulled Pork. http://barbecuebible.com. I'd love to hear YOUR tips for smoking and pulling the perfect shoulder.

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:11 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Even though hot dogs are widely considered to be the epitome of all-American food, I'd have to argue that pulled pork is probably more native to the USA and just as deserving of recognition.

I'll add to #7, "Give it a rest". After pulling or chopping the pork, cover the pan with foil and let it sit for awhile so that the white meat can pick up some flavor from the bark. Even better, put it in a roaster or crock pot set to its lowest temperature.

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:49 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Even though hot dogs are widely considered to be the epitome of all-American food, I'd have to argue that pulled pork is probably more native to the USA and just as deserving of recognition.

I'll add to #7, "Give it a rest". After pulling or chopping the pork, cover the pan with foil and let it sit for awhile so that the white meat can pick up some flavor from the bark. Even better, put it in a roaster or crock pot set to its lowest temperature.

+1. And if you don't have a crock pot, wrap it in foil and then a couple of towels, and place it in a cooler. The pork will stay hot for up to a few hours. Another trick is to keep it in one of those chafing dishes or warming trays you can now get at a lot of stores.

All of the above helps the sauce mingle with the pork and bark and the end result is awesome. :D

A word of caution, though. I'd recommend a non-mayonnaise-based sauce for this, because if the temperature drops below 140 this could possibly cause bacteria to grow (and very quickly at that). That's also why I keep mayonnaise-based sauces cool when serving - I keep the squeeze bottles and the potato salad on ice and I toss them at the end of the party. This is mostly because I caught a nasty bug once after a company picnic when someone else didn't do so. :mrgreen:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion