Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spiced turkey parts

Spiced turkey parts

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:35 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I was in the store awhile back and found a perfectly cut turkey: 1 drumstick, 1 thigh, and 1 wing in each of 2 packages and the breast halves in a separate 3rd package, which meant I could have the parts I like without having to put up with the breast meat! :thumbup: :lol:

2 pieces of each meant that I could use 2 separate seasonings: Black Forest on 1 group and North African on the other. I put the spices under as well as over the skin and the turkey went into the fridge overnight.

I put them on a 350-degree briquette fire with a big chunk of apple wood for smoke, and grilled them indirect until the drumsticks hit 180, which meant that the thighs weren't far behind and the wings, farthest from the fire, were done as well.

Big time great flavor and awesome skin to boot! The North African spice mix contains ginger and it helped add a nice underlying spiciness that the Black Forest doesn't, but it was great in its own right, too.

Cooking the parts separately is definitely the way to go. Everything gets done just right without worries about overdone breast meat and underdone dark meat.

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:45 am
Trollby well done
well done

So were did you find cut-up turkey Brad?

I only see the Breast and Legs at the store(s)

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:18 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good looking turkey, Brad! :cheers:

I like the North African blend on pork and poultry, because it has a slight sweetness to it that goes nicely with the meat. That same sweetness doesn't work as well on beef or lamb, but that may just be a taste I haven't acquired yet.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:38 pm
BBQ Deputy

Trollby wrote:
So were did you find cut-up turkey Brad?

I only see the Breast and Legs at the store(s)
I found it at Bill's Food Center in Oregon. First time I'd ever seen one broken down and packaged that way!

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:54 am
sroach well done
well done

Brad, outstanding looking turkey parts, and so really good sounding rub, +1 on the ginger in a rub, I'm all in.

Do you smoke a turkey at Thanksgiving? I think I want to try it this year, and these picture are telling me it's going to be good!

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:16 am
BBQ Deputy

I didn't this past year but yes, I've done it and it's a nice change of pace from an oven-roasted turkey. Definitely give it a try!

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:29 pm
sroach well done
well done

Cool, we can start a thread for tips as it gets closer.. I'm excited.

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:37 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Tasty looking turkey!

Return to General Discussion