Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spit-roasting stood on its head

Spit-roasting stood on its head

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:05 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

What do gyro, shawarma, and doner kebab have in common? All come off a rotisserie that literally stands on its head. Check out our new blog and tell us YOUR secrets for doing vertical spit roasting on a traditional grill. http://barbecuebible.com/2013/06/12/spi ... bhjTJU5ulJ

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:29 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I wonder how easy it'd be to build a vertical model that burns charcoal. I'm envisioning a series of enclosed grates so that it burns more uniformly instead of settling and burning hotter at the bottom.

An old heating oil tank might work and because of its length it could probably handle 2 or 3 spits at the same time. Maybe if I ever convert my house to an LP furnace I could find out!

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 am

Mmmmmmmmmm. Doner kebabs. Food of the gods if you have been out drinking. I am one of the the few people I know who would eat these sober!!!! I kid you not. People just don't know what they're missing. Turkish food is just to die for.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:39 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I wonder how easy it'd be to build a vertical model that burns charcoal. I'm envisioning a series of enclosed grates so that it burns more uniformly instead of settling and burning hotter at the bottom.

An old heating oil tank might work and because of its length it could probably handle 2 or 3 spits at the same time. Maybe if I ever convert my house to an LP furnace I could find out!

We had a post on this board a few years ago that featured a small, charcoal-fired vertical spit rig that was great for shawarma and doner. However, I've been searching a dozen different ways for the past half hour both on this board and on Google and I just can't find it. I know the price was in the $200-300 range, though.

All I'm finding is $700 propane rigs and commercial rigs over $1100. Quite frustrating indeed, as I really liked the grill that was posted here. (I think the post was by Don Marco).
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:14 pm
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

You forgot the chicken :wink:
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

I do my Shawarma Horizontally. I alternate layers of fat with the meat so I can have the same basting property as the vertical kind. In the vertical Shawarma, the fat is stacked on top of the meat and it bastes the meat as it drips down from top to bottom.
Here are few pix of my Beef and Chicken Shawarma
ImageFree Image Hosting
ImageFree Image Hosting
ImageFree Image Hosting
ImageFree Image Hosting

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:09 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I see Al Pastor cooked that way (vertically) also in our local Mexican taquerias.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:17 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

This is ALMOST affordable ... if you cook a LOT of Schwarma.. http://www.amazon.com/Spinning-Grillers ... oner+grill
- Phillyjazz -

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:44 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

phillyjazz wrote:
This is ALMOST affordable ... if you cook a LOT of Schwarma.. http://www.amazon.com/Spinning-Grillers ... oner+grill

I also have an indoor Unit, got for $120
ImageFree Image Hosting ImageFree Image Hosting ImageFree Image Hosting

Post Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:29 pm
BBQ Deputy

Baychilla wrote:
You forgot the chicken :wink:
NO SHAWARMA FOR YOU!!! :lol:

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:16 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

BBcue-Z wrote:
phillyjazz wrote:

I also have an indoor Unit, got for $120
ImageFree Image Hosting ImageFree Image Hosting ImageFree Image Hosting

THAT is affordable !! Has it lasted long ???
- Phillyjazz -

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:49 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Darn - I'm still looking for the charcoal-fired one instead of an electric one. I think Don Marco had pics of one back when he posted regularly, so I'll keep checking. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:16 pm
Trollby well done
well done

What about an Inferred Propane unit modified?

I mean a buddy bought a Propane add-on burner for his grill, just build the holder

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:01 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Phillyjazz,
I’ve had the indoor unit for several years and still works well. I don’t use it as much, because I prefer charcoal.

CharredGriller,
In addition to my large charcoal rotisserie unit above, I have the Cyprus grill, which is also perfect for this application. I’m sure you can locate one in Canada at a Greek store for under $200
ImageFree Image Hosting
You can do both Meat and Chicken on this unit :D
ImageFree Image Hosting
But you don’t even need a special grill; I’ve done it on my Char Griller
ImageFree Image Hosting
And even on a Weber with a rotisserie set up
ImageFree Image Hosting

Trollby,
An inferred burner would work just fine. I’ve done it on my gas grill using the Rotisserie burner as well
ImageFree Image Hosting

I’m a Shawarma and Kabob addict :oops:

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:30 am
BBQ Deputy

Z, when you slice the shawarma does the meat separate very much? Since I have a kettle rotisserie the one you did on a Weber caught my eye.

Next

Return to General Discussion