Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion OT - Jimmy Dean Breakfast Links

OT - Jimmy Dean Breakfast Links

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:07 am
Griffin well done
well done

If I included all these pics and the recipe in my other thread, it would have been really long, so I opted to start a new thread just for the breakfast links. Hope nobody minds.

The sausage making bug hit last week. It had been too long since I have made any. Quickly settled on two kinds, Jimmy Dean style and cheddar brats. Started off with 10lbs of pork butt from Hirsch's in Plano

Ground that all up

Mixed in the spices and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Got it out the next morning and fried up a batch to taste to see if it needed adjusting. Then stuffed it into 21mmm collagen casings. I used these one from Academy.

This was what 4lbs netted me (1 lb was kept in bulk)

Simple to cook up, just pop it in the oven at 350F for about 15 minutes or until it reaches 150, turning halfway through and you've got this.

The sausage was really good. I think I added too much sage, but the wife and a co-worker thought it was really good. The recipe I followed is from a guy named Kevin P on the Smoke Ring Forum. He really knows his stuff when it comes to sausage.

Jimmy Dean-like Breakfast Links
•5 lb pork butt, ground
• 36 g kosher salt (about 5 tsp)
•1.0 g ground sage (little over a tsp)
•2 g red pepper flakes (add more to your taste)
•2 g thyme leaves (little over a tsp)
•3 g black pepper (1.5 tsp)
•2.5g ground coriander ( (little over a tsp)
•Optional: 1/3 cup real maple syrup**
**I find it too sweet & don’t add it.
•20-24 Sheep casings(or make a large chub to slice!)

As for the cheddar brats, I left that recipe at home so you are going to have to wait until tomorrow to get that one. Sorry.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:20 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow, Griffin - those look better than store-bought links! I bet they tasted better, too. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:22 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

What CG said - good stuff, and no artificial ingredients or preservatives!! :thumbup:

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:53 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice sausage! :) That should last you a couple days, at least!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion