Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wood grilling on a gas grill

Wood grilling on a gas grill

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:38 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Who says you can get a wood grlll flavor on a gas grill? I lay wine barrel staves (could also be olive wood chunks or any hardwood chunk) between the Flavorizer bars under the grate. When the start to catch fire, I put on the steak. I'm partial to Best of Barbecue Wine Barrel Staves--surprise!, but any hardwood stick or chunk will work. Note: this is dry wood, not soaked. In this instance you want a light wood grilled flavor, not the heavy smoke of true barbecue. What's YOUR favorite way to grill over wood?

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-B ... rel+staves
Attachments
steak on wood fire.jpg
steak on wood fire.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 1671 times

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:20 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Olive wood I turn into pens. It's too nice a turning wood to burn. :D

My "place in the country" borders a lot of forest so I usually have birch on hand to cook over, but I also have a selection of maple, apple (a lot), and alder if I can get it (especially for smoking fish). I've also got a few bags of mesquite, cheery, and hickory chunks, and some oak as well which I picked up in 4x4 inch beams for free.

But the one I really want to try is whiskey barrel staves. My neighbor just gave me about 8 of them so we'll see how they turn out. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:51 am
Griffin well done
well done

Am I the only one who is seeing really humongous pictures in Steve's posts? They go off the side of the screen with a scroll bar to see them all? Is there some way to see the whole picture or does he need to post smaller pics for us?

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:06 pm
sroach well done
well done

Same here, I can't make them out..

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:17 pm
QJuju well done
well done

The pic is huge and I saved it to my PC and then could view it, albeit at 27% of it's size. :shock: They just need to be re-sized to something more desktop like before uploaded.

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:01 pm
mcsquash raw
raw

Okay I'm a noob. I given a real grill :D from a good frend that moved :cry: . So It's a 3 burner one (unlike the 1 burner models of my past), and I've made some awesome Baked Potatoes, Corn, a Steak, and am working on my second BB chicken (with Coke) while we speak.

Regarding wood. In Mr. Raichlen's books he says to soak the chips. The chips I bought at my Ace Hardware store say to use 'em dry. I got alot of smoke last time, and this time I'm getting an excellent smell (smoke hasn't started to pour out of the grill, yet).

So to Soak or not to soak? That is the question.

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:32 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

mcsquash wrote:
So to Soak or not to soak? That is the question.

Welcome aboard, mcsquash!

And a good question it is. A lot of folks say that soaking the chips does absolutely nothing, and others swear by it. Personally, I like to soak them for 30-60 minutes and then place them in a smoker box or pouch made from foil. They eventually catch fire but they do it more slowly when soaked.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:54 am

Griffin wrote:
Am I the only one who is seeing really humongous pictures in Steve's posts? They go off the side of the screen with a scroll bar to see them all? Is there some way to see the whole picture or does he need to post smaller pics for us?

I made a similar comment in another thread, Steven is apparently posting 8 megapixel pics from his camera. 640X480 or 800X600 are better suited for viewing on forums.

Return to General Discussion