Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion A quest for tea-smoked ribs (Lots of pics)

A quest for tea-smoked ribs (Lots of pics)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
sroach well done
well done

The wife and I hit this little neighborhood topaz place about a month back, the one items we picked were tea smoked ribs, and they were outstanding. I said to the wife I am going to try and make them at home. Since at a topaz place you get like 3 small ribs.. LOL

So I searched the internet and found a couple of recipes, but all of them were made in the over, so I took a common theme from all of them and tried to make it work on the BGE. Here we go...

First of the rub: Brown Sugar, Chineese Five-spice, Salt, Ground Ginger, Ground Coriander, Red Pepper Flakes, Onion Powder. So much different then the a normal rib rub. Couldn't wait to taste it.

Two slabs of baby backs, rubbed good and plenty with this wonderful rub, foiled up and in to the refrigerator overnight.

On to the smoke packet: Loose OOlong Tea, Dry Jasmine Rice, Brown Sugar, Peppercorns, Star Anise Pods, Fresh Ginger, Cinnamon Stick, Orange Peel.

I cut slits in to the packet and threw it on to the lump and the smoke that came off this was unreal, really hard to describe. A cup of tea with a strong scent of the Anise. Really wonderful smelling. You can see some smoke in the below picture.

You can see my "Chair" that I sit in while the ribs are cooking.. it's a tough life!

Ribs are on and the temp at the grate is 238, locked and loaded:

At the two hour mark it was time to foil them up, for this instead of just Apple Cider I tossed in a little bit more loose tea, this time using a flavored tea (Sweet flavored Rooibos tea) along with the apple cider:

Back in the egg for another two hours, although next time I think I am going to do a 3-1-1, the last two times I did a 2-2-1 I felt the ribs are little over done, I don't like them to fall apart when lifting them off the grate.

Lastly the sauce, I am going to tell the truth and admit I didn't make the sauce I bought some korean bbq sauce.

Unfoiled and sauced up the ribs and back on to glaze them up.

Time to plate these bad boys up, I was hoping they would taste half as good as then smelled and looked, to my surprise they were better then I would have hoped!

Along with the ribs, we served an Asian Noodle Salad that my wife made the night before and a good old fashion baked potato. This was one of those meals that I really couldn't believe I made these at home and it didn't come from a restaurant. :bbq:

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Oh la la!-- That is some magnificent looking gourmet, Steve, what with even including 5 star and tea and such. Sounds like lots and lots of flavor going on there. Glad it even exceeded your expectations! Excuse me now here:
Got beer???

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

WOW - those ribs look incredible! Great job, Steve - those look even better than the char siu roast pork that I get from an old Chinese BBQ house right by my work, and that's saying something! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

QJuju well done
well done

Awesome Asian flavors for some Pigsicles! Never tried that palate on ribs, but that sure looks tasty!

sroach well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
WOW - those ribs look incredible! Great job, Steve - those look even better than the char siu roast pork that I get from an old Chinese BBQ house right by my work, and that's saying something! :cheers:

CG, WoW.. thank you.. I'll take that compliment.

Thanks guys, it's great when a plan comes together.. I am looking forward to using the leftovers in some burrito later on in the week. And yes Q, what a different taste on ribs, really worth the time.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Fantastic, Roach! I've seen tea-smoking on Simply Ming before but have never attempted it myself...great job!

sroach well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Fantastic, Roach! I've seen tea-smoking on Simply Ming before but have never attempted it myself...great job!

Thanks SC, well worth the time!!

Loving the idea of tea- smoking!. I have never smoked before (well not in the culinary sense :D :D ), am very tempted to try this out.....

Great looking ribs, nice job. Using the spice packet for smoke is a great idea.
I use 5 Spice in my rib rub as well, I was wondering what spices are in the blend that you use as there are variations in commercial brands.

Return to General Discussion