It was so weird, too! I used it quite gently and washed it in very warm but not scalding hot water. Then I looked at it on the drying rack and it had cracked.
I broke down and used the 5-minute epoxy on Friday and tried sealing it. I used an old woodworking trick, which was to coat the the cracks on the outside of the syringe with epoxy and then pull back the plunger. The vacuum created looks like it sucked the epoxy right into the cracks just enough to seal the thing without leaking into the inner syringe.
So it now looks ugly as sin, but it works again.
I'll keep that in mind, I have a brisket coming up, lets see if I get through it without a crack..