Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wine Country Barbecue

Wine Country Barbecue

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 30, 2013 10:04 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Move over brisket. Make way for tri-tip. Read my account of Buster's BBQ in Calistoga, California! Then tell us how YOU prepare tri-tip. http://barbecuebible.com/2013/05/30/que ... thern-bbq/
Attachments
Buster w SR.JPG
Buster w SR.JPG (2.32 MiB) Viewed 612 times

Post Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Tri-tip seems to be scarce as hen's teeth around here, but I definitely wouldn't mind paying Buster a visit!

Post Thu May 30, 2013 11:30 am
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Been to Busters quite a few times (Mom and Dad live up there in St Helena). I like my tri-tip with rosemary, OO, minced garlic, salt, pepper and a little oregano. Grill it over a high heat for a nice herb crust and finish indirect with oak smoke - but the "real deal" (the original from Bob Schutz at the Safeway meat department in Santa Maria) just had garlic salt and pepper on it and was done on the rotisserie. Any way you cook it, you gotta serve it up with ranch style beans, garlic bread and a little pico de gallo relish.

And in Santa Maria they do these "En Masse" and rotate the skewers by hand. This is what Northern California BBQ is all about!

Wood Fired Argentine Parrilla
22.5 WSM
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Thu May 30, 2013 12:14 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Medium rare is about the only criteria for me. I used your Santa Maria Tri-Tip recipe from BBQ USA first and it is quite tasty. From there I have gone many directions. It is hard to find in this area, but sure is one tasty cut when I can.

Post Thu May 30, 2013 4:32 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

QJuju wrote:
Medium rare is about the only criteria for me. I used your Santa Maria Tri-Tip recipe from BBQ USA first and it is quite tasty. From there I have gone many directions. It is hard to find in this area, but sure is one tasty cut when I can.

+1 on all counts. I normally use the Santa Maria tri-tip recipe as well but I like to experiment with tri-tip. And tri-tip is a difficult cut to find, but I found that making friends with a few good butchers is always a good idea, no matter whether they're independent or they work in a supermarket.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion