Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cilantro question

Cilantro question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 23, 2013 12:40 am

Since cilantro is a very common ingredient in a lot of recipies I have a question. Does anybody else find it totally in edible or is it just me? To me it taste like soap and I'm not talkin a little flowery I'm talkin take the bottle of dish liquid and squirt it in your mouth soapy. If food has so much as a tiny sprig of this vile weed in it that's all I can taste. Just wondering if anybody else gets this reaction.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 1:19 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Hi Rumblefish!

Well, I can tell you that you are not the only one. I have known of others who do not care for cilantro. I, however, am at quite the opposite end... luv it, can't get enough of it. :)
Got beer???

Post Thu May 23, 2013 6:48 am
BubbaQue well done
well done

Do any other herbs effect you in the same way? Parsley? Very interesting.
Weber 22 1/2 Platium
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
WSM

Post Thu May 23, 2013 7:28 am
sroach well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Hi Rumblefish!

Well, I can tell you that you are not the only one. I have known of others who do not care for cilantro. I, however, am at quite the opposite end... luv it, can't get enough of it. :)

+1 Love the smell, love the taste. sprinkle it on everything.. something about the combination of Cilantro and Lime that is killer.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 8:55 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

rumblefish97 wrote:
Since cilantro is a very common ingredient in a lot of recipies I have a question. Does anybody else find it totally in edible or is it just me? To me it taste like soap and I'm not talkin a little flowery I'm talkin take the bottle of dish liquid and squirt it in your mouth soapy. If food has so much as a tiny sprig of this vile weed in it that's all I can taste. Just wondering if anybody else gets this reaction.
I don't mind it in very small amounts but I don't like it when the flavor becomes really noticeable.

I can't remember where I read or saw it - maybe on a episode of "Simply Ming" - but I seem to recall that there might actually be some sort of genetic or other biological reason why some people love cilantro and others don't.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
rumblefish97 wrote:
I don't mind it in very small amounts but I don't like it when the flavor becomes really noticeable.

I can't remember where I read or saw it - maybe on a episode of "Simply Ming" - but I seem to recall that there might actually be some sort of genetic or other biological reason why some people love cilantro and others don't.

I like cilantro in some dishes but only in moderation, and I think it really depends on how it was grown too. My first experience with it was in a salsa that had way too much of the stuff and it turned me right off. I noticed that soapy taste, but also noticed what I will simply call a "burning plastic bag" taste and aroma as well.

Since then I've cooked with it and even grown it, and now I can say for certain that it's all in the way it's grown. I find that it tastes a bit better if I actually stress the plant a bit by underwatering it at times. But I overfed and overwatered a pot of the stuff once and it gave off that terrible taste, too.

So now I figure that the stuff I got in that first restaurant must have been force-grown with tons of nitrogen fertilizer. Either that, or maybe the chefs didn't know what they were doing - it's been known to happen, and it was one of those stupid trendy flash-in-the-pan joints that closed a year later anyway. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 1:57 pm
Griffin well done
well done

rumblefish97 wrote:

You've got a genetic disposition to it that makes it taste that way. Fairly common. Nothing you can do, but omit it and move on. As for me, I love the stuff. And I think a bunny that lives around me must agree because he ate the last of it after devouring all the marigolds my wife planted. Wascawy wabbit! :evil:

Post Thu May 23, 2013 4:27 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
rumblefish97 wrote:

You've got a genetic disposition to it that makes it taste that way. Fairly common. Nothing you can do, but omit it and move on. As for me, I love the stuff. And I think a bunny that lives around me must agree because he ate the last of it after devouring all the marigolds my wife planted. Wascawy wabbit! :evil:

Interesting. That makes me wonder if science could create a spray or something that could let us cilantro-challenged people taste it the way others do.

Maybe some kind of genetically-engineered product. But that might mean we'd all turn into zombies.... :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion