Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion King Henry VIII's Drum

King Henry VIII's Drum

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 21, 2013 12:02 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

How about a nearly three pound turkey drum? That's a feast. Rats..., I completely blew my plated pic, but I'll share what I got. I first flavor brined this specimen with my red salt water, then hit it with celery seed and pepper.

And out to the grill:

I insist on eating my turkey drums good and cold, so I made this several hours before eating. Anyone else feel that way? :bbq:

Got beer???

Post Tue May 21, 2013 1:01 pm
sroach well done
well done

Umm WOW! Caveman Lolly pop!

Post Tue May 21, 2013 2:27 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Most tasty, that looks!! Apparently, in my absence, I missed this Red Salt Water of which you speak. Share it you must! :)

Post Tue May 21, 2013 3:29 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Is that a meal or a weapon? :wink:

I like turkey drumsticks hot or cold, although it's been a long time since I've had a cold one.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 4:49 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

QJuju wrote:
Most tasty, that looks!! Apparently, in my absence, I missed this Red Salt Water of which you speak. Share it you must! :)

Yes - a very nice, big, cave-manly drumstick there, Beercuer! :D

But I also don't know what this "Red Salt Water" is. So what is it?

And I really, really hope the answer isn't "salt, water, and red food coloring". :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 6:08 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
QJuju wrote:

And I really, really hope the answer isn't "salt, water, and red food coloring". :twisted:

:lol: Why CBG, whatever could you mean?

Sroach" -- I like that "caveman." :lol:

Brad-- Either/Or. Sroach was right on with "caveman" (club).

Qjuju-- Don't tell Canada but a few drops of red food coloring in your standard brine (1/4 cups salt to 1 qt. water) works great for enhancing the color on the cooked skin. Incidentally, I brined this for a full day, and the saltiness was perfect through and through so I had no need to salt while eating. I've also been known for orange rice, and... be warned... Smurf blue gravy. :lol:

Got beer???

Post Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
QJuju wrote:

:lol: Why CBG, whatever could you mean?

Sroach" -- I like that "caveman." :lol:

Brad-- Either/Or. Sroach was right on with "caveman" (club).

Qjuju-- Don't tell Canada but a few drops of red food coloring in your standard brine (1/4 cups salt to 1 qt. water) works great for enhancing the color on the cooked skin. Incidentally, I brined this for a full day, and the saltiness was perfect through and through so I had no need to salt while eating. I've also been known for orange rice, and... be warned... Smurf blue gravy. :lol:

Orange rice I've cooked (and bright yellow too), green eggs and ham I've read about, and Smurf-blue gravy I've seen (but it took a bit to believe). :twisted:

But red food coloring in brine? If it works, then whatever floats your canoe. :D

I've had turkey and chicken come out of the marinade with red skin too, but that's because I use red wine instead as it adds a bit of taste as well as color.

Actually, the first time I saw Steven do his Primal Grill version of beer can chicken marinated in red wine (basically a coq au vin on a beer can holder) it threw me for a bit of a loop. The skin of that chicken was even redder than the drumstick above, and it was a bit weird to look at until it was cooked. I'm used to seeing red-skinned chicken now so I'll be OK. :twisted:

Got anything in purple, though?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 10:22 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
Orange rice I've cooked (and bright yellow too), green eggs and ham I've read about, and Smurf-blue gravy I've seen (but it took a bit to believe). :twisted:

But red food coloring in brine? If it works, then whatever floats your canoe. :D

I've had turkey and chicken come out of the marinade with red skin too, but that's because I use red wine instead as it adds a bit of taste as well as color.

Actually, the first time I saw Steven do his Primal Grill version of beer can chicken marinated in red wine (basically a coq au vin on a beer can holder) it threw me for a bit of a loop. The skin of that chicken was even redder than the drumstick above, and it was a bit weird to look at until it was cooked. I'm used to seeing red-skinned chicken now so I'll be OK. :twisted:

Why Canada, I have no idea. Unless you mean my purple mashed potatoes. In that case, yep, been there done that. :lol: :cheers:

Got beer???

Post Wed May 22, 2013 7:36 am
QJuju well done
well done

Well aren't we a colorful lot! :lol: :lol: I surely thought this was going to be from some chili pepper or spice added to the brine. Like Sazon Azafran for my turkey-- makes it yeller! (That's a hillbilly word)

I have heard that we eat with our eyes first so the colorful plate is more appealing.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 8:20 am
Griffin well done
well done

Holy Schnikes!! That must have been one big turkey!! Looks great.

Why'd you have to go and bring up the smurf blue gravy again?? :evil:

Post Wed May 22, 2013 10:48 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:

Why Canada, I have no idea. Unless you mean my purple mashed potatoes. In that case, yep, been there done that. :lol: :cheers:

Nah. That's more of a "violet". :twisted:

I meant something more like "beets". Me like beets.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 3:16 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

QJuju wrote:
Well aren't we a colorful lot! :lol: :lol: I surely thought this was going to be from some chili pepper or spice added to the brine. Like Sazon Azafran for my turkey-- makes it yeller! (That's a hillbilly word)

I have heard that we eat with our eyes first so the colorful plate is more appealing.

Purdy birdy, Qjuju! I'm cool with "yeller," as well as very fond of bluegrass jams and hootenannies. I certainly could have gone with ancho chillies or an achiote paste, but I wanted just the basic Thanksgiving type flavor for this particular cook. Oh, and no wonder the expression "eye candy"-- eating with one's eyes. :D
Got beer???

Post Wed May 22, 2013 3:19 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Why'd you have to go and bring up the smurf blue gravy again?? :evil:

Because I'm an old fool and do what I want. :D
Got beer???

Post Wed May 22, 2013 3:22 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
Nah. That's more of a "violet". :twisted:

I meant something more like "beets". Me like beets.

Violet?-- That's purple! You need a new monitor. :lol:
Got beer???

Post Wed May 22, 2013 10:46 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Pass me a caveman club! That looks just about perfect to me, bc!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Next

Return to General Discussion