Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion New York Strip

New York Strip

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 20, 2013 9:51 pm
sroach well done
well done

So I haven't been cooking much Ms. Roach had some surgery end of last week, and all I had to hear was she could use more iron in her diet.. Off to the Butcher!! Last night was a salad with Blackened Filet Mignon.

Tonight was New York Strip steaks. Beautiful strips 1 & 1/2 " thick

Rubbed them down with Olive Oil and tried out a new rub I found at the supermarket:

It's a cocoa / mole flavored with a slight heat to it. (I also added the kosher salt)

All prepared, time to get the egg to a roaring 700°, time to crack open a bottle of Magic Hat #9, I am sure BC will approve. :cheers:

After the steaks were good and seared I grilled up some Brussels sprouts.

Time to plate:

This was a great rub, I think I will pick up the other Brown Dog rubs I saw to give them a try, as far as the steak I think it was better then the Filet I made the night before..

Post Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Oh dear..., that steak looks heavenly, Sroach! In other words, :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :D Sounds like a great idea for a rub as well. And super cool 8) -- Magic Hat #9 is on my shopping list right now. Interestingly, any number multiple of 3 is good luck for me. :lol: :cheers:

(As a side note, you have perfect reason now to do clams or oysters... They lead the pack of foods with high iron content. But you also want a good dose of Vitamin C so that the body can absorb that iron. Sorry for you and your wife's woes... Hospitals are NO fun).
Got beer???

Post Tue May 21, 2013 6:49 am
QJuju well done
well done

Well you know I love me a steak and that one did not disappoint! I never appreciated just how important a super hot grill was to steak, until I got an egg, and you got great grill marks on that one. That rub sounded really interesting as well-- I will look into it. Sprouts are delicious too.

Hope the missus is mending and all is well.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 7:09 am
sroach well done
well done

Thanks guys,

She is on the mend, she is even going to do some driving today, she has a bad case of cabin fever right now.

@BC - Funny you should say that, she was reading up on iron rich food and when said said clams I laughed and said I can do BC's Clams and linguine. I showed her your post and she was drooling.

@Qjuju - 100% agree, what a difference the super high heat makes for the sear, and I am glad the guy at the store talked me in to the cast iron grates. if you find the rub check it out, good stuff.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 9:55 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

sroach wrote:
@Qjuju - 100% agree, what a difference the super high heat makes for the sear, and I am glad the guy at the store talked me in to the cast iron grates.
There you go...she can lick the grates, too! :wink:

That's a nice dinner for a Monday night. We usually go cheap on Mondays; last night was a frozen pizza...

Post Tue May 21, 2013 11:06 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's an incredible looking steak, sroach! Killer grill marks, and while a lot of folks won't usually rub a steak like a strip loin, I can see why some of us do. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 1:06 pm
sroach well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
sroach wrote:
@Qjuju - 100% agree, what a difference the super high heat makes for the sear, and I am glad the guy at the store talked me in to the cast iron grates.
There you go...she can lick the grates, too! :wink: \

LOL.. I'll suggest that, then duck!

Post Tue May 21, 2013 1:08 pm
sroach well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
That's an incredible looking steak, sroach! Killer grill marks, and while a lot of folks won't usually rub a steak like a strip loin, I can see why some of us do. :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

For me no rub.. For the wife, what ever makes her eat red meat...

Return to General Discussion