Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion gas grill suggestions ??

gas grill suggestions ??

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 17, 2013 8:27 am
Pixelvt raw
raw

I have a Weber kettle and a Big Green Egg that I have had for years. I just ditched my awful Chargriller gas grill that rusted out in no time. My needs are simple, enough room to grill 4 steaks (or chicken, chops), and VERY hot (think you can see the flames !!!), like the grills you see them using to cook the best steaks in a restaurant . The average grill, in my opinion, ( I have had many) simply does not get hot enough to properly cook a steak. And no, not interested in using my BGE or Weber for grilling a steak 5 minutes per side, or whatever, gas is fine. So bottom line, I want stainless, it does not have to be that big, does not need any bells and whistles, propane or natural gas , hot hot hot,, a superior cooking grate,,,,,,ok, any suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you !!:)

Post Fri May 17, 2013 9:10 am
sroach well done
well done

Pix,

Why not look at a Weber gasser? I had one for over 5 years and it still fires up. I think I have the most basic one Genesis A I think it was called back then.

Post Fri May 17, 2013 9:27 am
Pixelvt raw
raw

I had a Weber and to me it did not really do the job, its an obvious choice, but they really do not get hot enough to do a really good steak, IMHO. Unless something has changed.

Post Fri May 17, 2013 10:52 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well, another option might be to get a basic grill with an infrared side/sear burner. I've got a MasterChef 550 grill I bought on sale late last summer, and it's a 4-burner rig plus rotisserie burner and IR side burner. The ceramic IR burners do a really good job and they can often be dialed down to a simmer now as well. But where they really shine is high heat cooks. The only thing I don't like is that they can be a bit small.

Here is mine in action:

See? It's a bit small.

You could also look around for a regular grill with a sear burner inside. Unfortunately, on a Weber that seems to be limited to the Summit S-670, which is a monster of a grill. Another choice is one of those IR-only grills (go for ceramic burners), but those can be limited to grilling only and don't always work great for indirect cooking (or not without generous applications of tin foil, anyway). :twisted:

What I wouldn't recommend is this one - I didn't like it at all:
http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24070

I haven't gotten into this year's crop of grills yet, but I'll bookmark this post and see what I can find.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri May 17, 2013 10:59 am
Pixelvt raw
raw

is this the one you have ?? I like the btu I think, does it make a killer steak ? http://www.masterchefbbqs.com/en/S550_G55101-2.php any and all advice appreciated, for me, small is better, we usually just cook for two and sometimes 4, but indirect is not an issue as I have a BGE, a rotiss might be interesting

Post Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 am
Heebzman medium
medium

I know you are ruling out your BGE, but if you think you are going to get a gasser that comes close to the heat output of your egg, I think you are going to disappointed. You have what I consider to be the perfect steak searing machine...super intense heat using a quality lump charcoal and CI grates

If you are just cooking for one or two, get a Weber chimney, fill half way with good lump. Light and let that chimney burn till it looks like a jet afterburner. Throw a small CI grate over the top and sear that thick steak on both sides. Best crust I've ever produced on a steak.
Two 18.5 WSM's...the Twins ! / Performer / Q200

Post Fri May 17, 2013 11:53 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Pixelvt wrote:
is this the one you have ?? I like the btu I think, does it make a killer steak ? http://www.masterchefbbqs.com/en/S550_G55101-2.php any and all advice appreciated, for me, small is better, we usually just cook for two and sometimes 4, but indirect is not an issue as I have a BGE, a rotiss might be interesting

Actually, mine is an E550 and it seems to be a nicer grill. It's very similar to the E500 but with cast-iron grates instead of porcelain-coated (which I'd never buy again):
http://www.masterchefbbqs.com/en/E500_G45308-9.php

Here is a pic (though not a great one):

It's just a basic gasser, but that sear burner gets really hot. Like I said above, it isn't too large but I can fit about 4 pork chops or 2 good-sized T-bones on it. And yes - that sear burner does a killer steak as shown in the pic above. The grill marks on the back side of that steak were even better.

One very minor thing to note about IR sear burners like this: if it's got a cast-iron grill grate like mine above, you need to re-oil it and reseason it a bit more often. The heat gets intense enough to burn off any seasoning after a few cooks. But keep in mind that a CI grate gives the best grill marks anyway, so it's a minor tradeoff.

And to be honest, after a few sessions you get used to re-oiling the grate so it becomes second nature anyway. It's a tiny price to pay for a great steak.

As for the grill itself, the burners are well-built and there aren't many hot spots or cold spots. And with a 4-burner configuration it also makes indirect cooking a breeze. The rotisserie burner is a lot heavier-duty than most I've seen on grills of this nature and it also kicks out a lot of heat. So much heat, in fact, that I only use it for crisping up a piece of meat at the end of a cook.

Oh - and just for fun, this is what the grill looks like when it cooks a nice, big sirloin roast on an el-cheapo rotisserie :D :

Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion