Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Broil-King Keg - Under the Hood

Broil-King Keg - Under the Hood

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 7:53 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I was recently in Lowe's and I had a look at the Broil-King Keg kamado cooker. Having looked at (and cooked on) several BGEs and other kamado cookers over the past few years, I figured I'd delve deeper on this one.

One thing I've found is that Char-Broil tends to over-hype a lot of their stuff, so I figured that this one might be no exception. There's a latch on the front, it's a nice bronze color, and it's about the size of a Large BGE.

I may as well jump right to the price. This one is $200 less than a Large BGE, but I was still a bit skeptical.

The daisy wheel is non-removable. and the unit doesn't come with a cover (which was an extra $60).

I figured I'd look at the insides next. Nothing much to report here except that the inner construction is enameled metal over rock wool. That means way less thermal mass than clay, which means the unit will not hold heat as well. There's a second stainless-steel grate that fits over the CI grate as well.

Finally, the bottom vent. Most kamados I've seen have a screen over the vent to keep critters out. This one doesn't, so retrofitting could be an option though I don't see how well it would work. With no screen, critters will often find a way in somehow - usually when you're rushed and forget to close the vent. (I've even had mice crawl through a penny-sized hole in my old ECB to feast on whatever was left after a cook - mostly pork fat.)

Maybe with the cast-iron plate at the bottom of the inside of the grill would stop mice - I don't know about rats, though, as it isn't that heavy. Besides - I just think a screened vent looks better than an open hole - even if it does nothing.

Personally, I'm not sure how much I like this cooker. This might be a rebranded Keg from some other manufacturer, in fact, as I've seen the exact cooker under 3 different brands now. It just doesn't seem as well-designed, for some reason. I'd go as far as to say "it just doesn't feel right" for a kamado.

Does anyone here own one? If so, how well does it cook?

With all the fun I've had looking at kamados this past year I'm thinking - maybe I should just build a DIY Tandoor Oven? I've seen great and awful ones on YouTube lately. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri May 17, 2013 8:26 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I think anytime there's a successful product on the market - the clay kamado cooker, in this case - a lower-cost, cut-corner version is almost sure to follow for those people who're willing to accept "almost as good" in order to save some money. That's not to say that they can't get the job done or be worth the price, but there's always a trade-off.

Post Fri May 17, 2013 9:13 am
sroach well done
well done

I agree with Chicken, it's a shame what are you really saving.. less then $200, if a friend would ask me I would say wait till you can afford the BGE. If you want that type of grill.

Post Fri May 17, 2013 10:31 am
QJuju well done
well done

I saw these under a different name before I bought the egg. I was fascinated, but even now, when I look at the price, there are several kamado style cookers that have better warranties and are better quality for the same/similar money.

Post Mon May 20, 2013 10:28 am
Griffin well done
well done

I'm not up to date on Eggfest prices, but you should be able to get a demo egg that has only been used that one day at the fest for less than that. Throw in a lifetime warranty and there is just no comparison.

CanadaBBQGuy - you mentioned the screen on the lower vent. Although I think it would help keep critters out, it is really to keep embers from falling out and catching things on fire. Sometimes lump sparks and I've seen it shoot out the bottom and hit that screen. I don't care much about embers as I grill on concrete, but if you had a wooden deck you would be thankful its there. Also, when you shut down a kamado style cooker, you close the vent completely so no critters would get in anyway.

Post Mon May 20, 2013 1:47 pm
toyman medium
medium

Wow, that's a lot of money for not being a ceramic grill? Here's a link to Lowes and the Char-Griller Akorn that sells for $299. http://www.lowes.com/pd_131712-49769-67 ... facetInfo= Gander Mountain carries one also for $325 (give or take). I've thought about picking up one of the Char-Grillers to go with my BGE since the price difference is so great, but at $899, it wouldn't be worth the risk to save only a few dollars.
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Post Mon May 20, 2013 2:26 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
I'm not up to date on Eggfest prices, but you should be able to get a demo egg that has only been used that one day at the fest for less than that. Throw in a lifetime warranty and there is just no comparison.

CanadaBBQGuy - you mentioned the screen on the lower vent. Although I think it would help keep critters out, it is really to keep embers from falling out and catching things on fire. Sometimes lump sparks and I've seen it shoot out the bottom and hit that screen. I don't care much about embers as I grill on concrete, but if you had a wooden deck you would be thankful its there. Also, when you shut down a kamado style cooker, you close the vent completely so no critters would get in anyway.

OK - that makes sense.

After thinking about it a bit more I think the main reason I don't like the lack of the screen is a lot simpler than that. It's just because the Egg has one and this one doesn't.

I know it sounds a bit peevish, but I figure if the BK Keg wants to pretend it's a BGE, then it had better look more like a BGE. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon May 20, 2013 5:40 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Gander Mountain carries one also

The KingGriller sold by Gander Mountain and others is nothing other than the Akorn sold by Lowes. Confirmed by CharGriller customer service. :cheers:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Return to General Discussion