Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Who wants pizza? (pics)

Who wants pizza? (pics)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 16, 2013 7:08 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Is it okay if I make this one a little bit differently this time? I wish to go somewhat Mexican style. This means we are going to swap out the usual pizza sauce and replace it with hot enchilada sauce, and include chorizo as one of the toppings. First we get to roll out the dough. In the interest of saving time, I picked up this garlic herb dough from my local Trader Joe's. It's actually quite good. Here it is rolled and fitted to my GraniteWare pan.

Next comes that sauce. I added a touch of masa harina, much like one would for chili, to thicken it up just a tad and enhance the flavor.

Next for the cheese. Shredded moozarella and a touch of cheddar:

And the toppings-- fried chorizo, pulled chicken, sliced red bell pepper, black olives, garlic, and pineapple:

Out to the pit:

Going indirect this time to let the dough slowly bake to a delicious bready goodness. And we're gonna blast it with heavy mesquite smoke for the short time it's on there. Look!-- We have a pope!

Let's see what we got, how it turned out. Yeah, I guess that looks about done.

Enough let's plate it and eat it. Muy sabroso, delightful to me! :D

Oh yeah, here you can see I incorporated a little corn meal on the bottom of the crust.

Got beer???

Post Thu May 16, 2013 9:48 am
sroach well done
well done

BC,

Beautiful pictures of what looks to me a perfect pizza. Great choice on toppings. chorizo is one of my favorite things and Pineapple on a pizza is really good.

How did you like the sauce that you made up, that's a pretty creative alternative to pizza sauce, I have never used masa harina before. Going to have to google that one.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 9:58 am
QJuju well done
well done

If I were to order a pizza as my last meal this is the one I would want!

And the toppings-- fried chorizo, pulled chicken, sliced red bell pepper, black olives, garlic

Dude... that is a great combo. Gourmet all the way.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 10:46 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nicely done, BC! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 11:38 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It's like a "Mexico meets Hawaii" pizza! :thumbup:

Post Fri May 17, 2013 4:04 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I do thank you, Friends! Sure wish I could upload the real thing (and beer as well) :cheers: .

sroach wrote:
BC,

Beautiful pictures of what looks to me a perfect pizza. Great choice on toppings. chorizo is one of my favorite things and Pineapple on a pizza is really good.

How did you like the sauce that you made up, that's a pretty creative alternative to pizza sauce, I have never used masa harina before. Going to have to google that one.

Sroach, I really, really enjoyed the enchilada sauce. I would say that is the preferred sauce for going with toppings that feature well in Mexican cuisine (including fajita meat and pulled pork). But if one is going with say, pepperoni, Italian sausage, (i.e. Italian cuisine), then one might prefer the regular piizza sauce. Masa is used to make tamales for example, and is a wonderful thickener for chilis, as it also significantly enhances the flavor. :D
Got beer???

Post Fri May 17, 2013 5:42 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

I'll pick off all of the olives and eat the rest! :P

That crust looks heavenly!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Sat May 18, 2013 2:15 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

tex_toby wrote:

Brother Toby! Had I known you were coming, I would have substituted shrooms or something! I thank my GraniteWare pan for the crust. :D :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Sat May 18, 2013 12:56 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

tex_toby wrote:

You can give me the olives - I like 'em. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat May 18, 2013 9:03 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Superb pizza, creative toppings and wonderful pictures. You my friend have achieved the perfect post!! Nicely done!!

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sat May 18, 2013 10:58 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
tex_toby wrote:

Brother Toby! Had I known you were coming, I would have substituted shrooms or something! I thank my GraniteWare pan for the crust. :D :cheers:

Jalapenos! :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Sun May 19, 2013 6:48 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CBG-- You got 'em, my pleasure. Great in certain dips, too!

Toby-- Funny you should mention jalapenos... I was going to include those, but thought perhaps the enchilada sauce already brought enough heat to the table.

jfm0830 wrote:
Superb pizza, creative toppings and wonderful pictures. You my friend have achieved the perfect post!! Nicely done!!

Jim

Jim!!! Thank you for your most kind words! I'm tempted to try with other salsas as well, perhaps even a green tomatillo. :cheers:
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion