Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Back in the swing...

Back in the swing...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 15, 2013 11:43 am
QJuju well done
well done

I haven't posted in some time for many reasons. I thought I might give it a go again and see whats going on in BBQ land. I don't grill/smoke much in the winter as I do not like cold. Yes... this is all about me as the rig is good to go. I also haven't taken a lot of photos recently, but I did take some this past weekend. I will try to get that posted this weekend.

One of the things that I got really obsessed about was complex recipes and cooks. I would marinate/rub/cook for hours/days for a particular meal. About a year ago I started looking at things much differently. I went super simple. My criteria were in this order; tasty, quick, and easy. I went back to basics on rubs and marinades and even more basic on cooking process. I hear that's a theme now days among some trendy and talented names in the world of barbecue. Seems to me that Kreuz Market and a few others were already there long ago. I also recall Bob-BQN on this forum when I started here saying to many people just put salt and pepper on it and get a taste for the meat and smoke before you start adding other spices. I am sure he wasn't alone in that sentiment, just the name I recall.

Well I have rambled on enough at this point. I look forward to seeing your cooks and hope to share a few of my own. I will leave you with a photo that sums up the majority of my cooks for the past 3 months. It was tasty and I may just do the same thing this weekend! :) Oh... All I put on that was kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Anything more on beef is overkill IMHO.
Attachments
Steak.jpg
Steak.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 1016 times

Post Wed May 15, 2013 1:37 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

There's nothing wrong with simple, as that plate clearly demonstrates! :thumbup:

But there's also nothing wrong with complex, or some level in between the two... :wink:

Glad you're back!

Post Wed May 15, 2013 3:15 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Simple works for me. Good to see you back, QJuju, and that steak looks mighty fine. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed May 15, 2013 6:31 pm
sroach well done
well done

QJuju,

Glad your back and that is an awesome looking steak...

Post Wed May 15, 2013 8:34 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
Simple works for me. Good to see you back, QJuju, and that steak looks mighty fine. :D

Yep, works for me too.

Post Thu May 16, 2013 6:20 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Yahoo, Qjuju! :cheers:

Well that's a mighty fine treat of a meal! I'm with you on appreciating steak with just S&P, even though I also :heart: me carne asada. :D
Got beer???

Post Thu May 16, 2013 10:06 am
Griffin well done
well done

Glad to see you back and posting. I know I'm not the only one who has missed you. As for simple, sometimes its the best. I recently did a brisket with nothing but 50/50 salt and fresh ground pepper. No marinade, no injection, no mustard slather and no rub and I think it was my best one to date.

Post Sat May 18, 2013 11:40 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

I managed to miss this when you originally posted it. Let me join in with the others and say: Less is more! I would gladly sit down to a plate of those meat and veggies anytime. I can't join in and say welcome back, because I've been away too. Instead let me just say: "Grate" to see you again!

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun May 19, 2013 9:31 am
QJuju well done
well done

Thanks for the kind words... I am happy to be back and looking forward to sharing and learning with everyone here.

Return to General Discussion