Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The BGE / Kamado Cooker Thread

The BGE / Kamado Cooker Thread

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 18, 2013 1:08 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If it's still serviceable and you have room, you may want to keep the Weber. They're great grills, and you can never have too many grills if you have space... :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 7:40 am
QJuju well done
well done

What is a DFMT anyway? Dual Function Metal Top. They surely didn't think that name through. :D How many folks have opened the lid of their egg and had it land on the ground in more than one piece? I have... I'm on lid #2. How many times have you needed to re-position the flap since it swung closed when you opened the lid? A lot? Here is how you solve both problems.

The key is to draw an imaginary line through the 2 screws on the lid. Can you see it?

This line should be parralel with another imaginary line through the center of the egg or the direction the lid opens.

No matter what position you place the flap if the line is parralel it will remain in that position.

The flap will always slide toward the screw on the lid. So in this position it might fall off when the flap swings open.

And will certainly swing close when in this position which will require readjustment to maintain temperature.

I was talking to my BGE guy about the lid. I was surprised he didn't know this so I thought I would share. Most of us that have had an egg awhile have probably figured this out or read it elsewhere, but if you are new to the egg it might be helpful when trying to figure out that weird lid.

Hope it helps...
Juju

Post Tue May 21, 2013 9:12 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Interesting I always have the that facing me but never reposition based on the parallel activity of the vent itself.....However, mine fell off and cracked because of a loose fit so they sent me out a gasket to go around the dome part...That helped the loose fit issue.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 am
Griffin well done
well done

Great explanation Juju. That should help tons of people. I haven't broken any of my lids, but I did break a friends lid when cooking on his. But I think it might have been alcohol related and I think I dropped it or set it down on the edge of a table and it fell off. :shock:

Post Tue May 21, 2013 7:28 pm
eon medium
medium

bought a char griller kamado... cant wait to break it in!
do i need to buy a kamado smoking stone like the one in this link to do low slow cooks like whole turkey, ribs, roast? thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Brookstone-Kamado ... king+stone

also what type of charcoal do you recommend?

Post Wed May 22, 2013 7:29 am
QJuju well done
well done

eon wrote:
do i need to buy a kamado smoking stone like the one in this link to do low slow cooks like whole turkey, ribs, roast? thanks!

I think I am going to mostly defer to a Char Griller expert as there are a few here. To my thinking their version of the kamado came with everything one needed to smoke, or more precisely, cook indirectly. There does need to be some type of heat deflector between the fire and you turkey, ribs, and roasts.

I would recommend lump charcoal for every use. It burns cleaner and produces less ash. There are several good brands to choose from. Here is a post where a small discussion is beginning. http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24321

Be sure to post some photos of your cooks.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 8:32 am
sroach well done
well done

Qjuju,

Excellent post!! Thank you, I will start using this method. I had it to where it would close if I opened the lid, this is for when I am doing slow and low so worse case it closed and didn't open wide.

Then I would spin it the other way when I am "grilling" so it stays open when I lift the lid.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 12:22 pm
eon medium
medium

thanks Qjuju. So you are saying my Kamado should have a heat deflector included? (I cant check right now because I have not opened the box yet and its not at current house)

also should i stay away from regular charcoal completely? I see that Lowes is selling 40 pounds of Kingsford briquettes for $10

Post Wed May 22, 2013 12:58 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

eon wrote:

Congratulations on your new rig. I was actually in the market for one of those last spring, and I wanted to let you know there's some very good videos on YouTube about it. I will post the link to the first of many below. The answer to your question is they do recommend using a stone for indirect. At the time those videos were made, those grills were new so the stone wasn't available yet. The solution used by the guy in the videos, was to buy a replacement grill grate for a Webber 22 inch kettle and then install a regular pizza stone on top of it. But you definately do need something to deflect the heat while doing indirect.

http://youtu.be/OmWZ7h-aZdw

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Fri May 24, 2013 4:37 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Has anyone here replaced the side shelves on a CharGriller King Griller (Akorn)? The ones on the one I recently bought are wooden, and broken. I can get new ones from CharGiller. Just wondering what others have done.
The new ones , the ones that are used on the Akorn, are fiberglass or plastic. Thought of even just using a wire basket type shelf. :bbq:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sat May 25, 2013 3:17 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

jayeffel wrote:
Has anyone here replaced the side shelves on a CharGriller King Griller (Akorn)? The ones on the one I recently bought are wooden, and broken. I can get new ones from CharGiller. Just wondering what others have done.
The new ones , the ones that are used on the Akorn, are fiberglass or plastic. Thought of even just using a wire basket type shelf. :bbq:

I haven't specifically replaced the shelves on an Akorn, but I've replaced shelves on other CGs. I'm a little miffed about it too - the cheap wood they use for their shelves warps easily and all of the sudden you've got yourself a curved shelf and everything falls off.

I'm not a plastic or fiberglass fan, so what I normally do is get a few boards, hit them with a biscuit jointer, and then glue them together. Once they are set you can cut them to size and finish them. What wood you use is up to you. Oak and maple are pricey but durable, and I've even used the "project pine" soild wood panels as they save me a lot of work in jointing and planing the boards.

You can use an outdoor polyurethane with UV inhibitors for the best look, but I've switched to just using salad bowl finish because it penetrates the wood better and lets your shelf double as a prep or cutting board. But one thng Chargriller misses is a cardinal rule of wood finishing: finish both sides of the board.If you don't, the board will almost certainly warp.

Now - having said all of that, there's a type of shelf I think is much better: expanded metal. I've seen these on a lot of offset barrel smokers from Char-Broils up to the huge competition rigs and I think they are wonderful. They don't sag or warp, and if they rust you can just hit them with a bit of paint.

I'm learning how to weld just so I can replace the shelves on my Outlaw with expanded metal shelves, in fact. If you know someone who could make a pair for the Akorn they may be the best way to go.

Heck - I think I would have paid an extra $50 to $75 for the Outlaw if it had come with expanded metal shelves, come to think of it. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat May 25, 2013 8:58 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

I thought an about metal shelves while I wrote the last message, and as I wrote I said to myself "Self, (that what I call me) that sounds pretty good, now get some!". :idea:
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:46 am
jayeffel well done
well done

Anyone know if a platesetter for a BGE will fit a CharGriller Akorn? Might be able to locate a BGE platesetter locally :?:
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:46 am
jayeffel well done
well done

Anyone know if a platesetter for a BGE will fit a CharGriller Akorn? Might be able to locate a BGE platesetter locally :?:
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:53 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

This fits & works great, I also use as a griddle at times!

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... le&Ntk=All
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion