Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The BGE / Kamado Cooker Thread

The BGE / Kamado Cooker Thread

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:21 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Lost Arrow
This fits & works great, I also use as a griddle at times!

Just received my griddle as you recommended. How do you keep yours ready for use? Do you season and re-season after each use as a platesetter?

Interesting that the seller shipped the griddle in a box 16" x 16" x 16".
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:07 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Seasoned with Pam ,
Cover with HD foil for ease of cleanup .
Bottom is unseasoned but top coated with foil stays pretty well seasomed
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:55 am
jayeffel well done
well done

Anyone doing mods to the Akorn to make it more airtight? Thought I saw something somewhere about putting a gasket inside the lower damper. I may order a new upper damper- the one on new Akorns, the one on the KingGriller i have is not as close fitting.

Also, when using a pizza stone do you use it on top of the regular grate, or replace the grate with it? I guess it really wouldn't matter as long as it fits! :bbq:
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 am
sroach well done
well done

Did anyone replace their thermostat on the BGE with a new one? The Tru-Tell thermostats look pretty nice.

Post Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:31 am
Griffin well done
well done

Both my Eggs, the Mini and the Large, both came with Tel-Tru thermometers. One is a few years old and was the old design, the Mini I got last fall and came with the new design.

Post Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:24 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Trying to figure how much-or how little to be more correct- charcoal in my Akorn. Don't want to waste charcoal, nor do I want to be so frugal that grilling is below par. My Akorn is not as airtight as BGEs probably are, may need to get the newer upper damper assembly. However, it does snuff out the coals, eventually.

I tried today to find out. For three steaks and three ears of corn I started with half a Weber chimney, maybe a bit less. It seemed to plateau at about 300 F. I wanted 600 to get grill marks. After a bit I added a little more charcoal. Waited a while and it got to 400 pr a little better.

I decided to go for it, was getting hungry. Wasn't sure how to get them done; all at once, or corn first, or steaks first. Decided to do the steaks, then put them on the warmer while the corn was grilled. So I did, I got decent grill marks at 400, for the first side, the steaks weren't very thick so I didn't tarry too long before turning them. Didn't get grill marks after that, losing too much heat I guess. t5hey don't add or detract from flavor anyway.

When they were done, (actually a bit more than desired but very edible) I moved them to the back of the grill, the coals were mostly at front. I grilled the corn as per SR's "How To Grill" book, switching Onion powder for minced garlic. Came out very good.

The heat didn't get as high as desired, but worked out okay.
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:44 pm
sroach well done
well done

Jay,

Funny you posted this. I did the same experiment the other day. I scraped al the lump to one side of the egg, and thought. Ehh, that looks like enough... well I might have gotten by, but I couldn't seem to get over 350.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:42 am
sroach well done
well done

Preparing for a slow and low on the BGE.

When doing a slow and low on the BGE how do you guys get it to your temp (i.e. 225 - 250), Do you light the lump and keep everything open (bottom vent and top vent) and then start to close the bottom and put the multi-use top on when it gets to 250?

I ask because I find I have better luck if I let it get up to at least 300 and bring the temperature back down to get a good portion of the lump burning.

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:54 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Saw something I like today, a local store with a sign in front BIG GREEN EGG, maybe they'll take pity and give me one ! :cheers:
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:40 am
USFMD82 well done
well done

Been Gone for a very long time, I migrated over to the forum dedicated to the cooker I have.

Bubba Keg, Big steel Keg, broil king keg whatever you want to call it now I have had it almost 5 years and it works great to this day, Main advantage over the ceramics, I can attach it to my car, and take it tailgating, and I'm not sure how the ceramics are but the metal on the outside of the keg doesn't get super hot based on internal temp.

I originally wanted the BGE until my keg came out, I believe I was one of the first users on this board to get one. Anyone else here have one?
Bubba Keg Grill
Calphalon Gas
Weber SJ & P '18
Sunbeam Electric 17"
R.I.P 06.01.09 Brinkmann Smoke N' Grill (ECB)

Post Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:47 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good to see you again, 82! Wow, has it really been that long? Time flies...glad it's working out for you. I can't remember if anybody else bought one.

Post Tue May 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi guys. New to the boards here.
Listen, I've got a bit of a problem.
After a good deal of research and thought, I went for a Char Griller Akorn this weekend at Lowes.
Had a good cook Sunday but during setup when I pulled the hood out of the package, there's a big 6" dent in it. Also, on the inside of the hood is a dime-sized spot where paint had come off. I hit it with hi-temp BBQ paint and went on with life. I'm thinking that the company may replace my hood since it's damaged right in the package.

After the cook, I'm wiping down the outside of the grill with damp sponge.
Underside of the ash pan has some bumpy paint...so I scrub a bit with the sponge (not the green scrubby side) and the paint comes off in one big 4" flake..leaving bare steel underneath.

So I get the warranty out, and guess what: It does not cover dents, paint defects or rust. It also does not cover damage from use. So WTF? Did I make a really bad decision ?
The sales guy at Lowe's said they do not take back grills or service anything they sell. (Welcome to the wonderful new economy.) And- it appears that Char Griller has a complete "out" as far as the warranty goes. But this is my FIRST DAY with it!

Any experience with customer service/warranty through Char Griller themselves (Sea Island , GA)?
I noticed that the Akorn is not even listed as a current product on their website. In terms of parts, they list only the little accessories, not basic PARTS.

Char Griller has not got back to me yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post Wed May 28, 2014 8:13 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome, Blackdogbbq! I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Akorn and hopefully you'll get at least some partial relief.

What about going back to Lowes and asking if there's an actual Char-Griller rep that visits the store every so often? If there is maybe you'd have better luck if you could show him the issues first-hand. A 4" strip of paint that peels off seems like a bit more than a "defect"!

Post Wed May 28, 2014 2:50 pm

It does seem more than a defect. And it seems hard to believe that Lowe's would refuse to take back a defective product/dented product and the manufacturer denies responsibility of either. Especially on the first day of use!

I'll wait to hear back from Char Griller. Have not heard anything yet. I couldn't even register the product on their website because there was no choice in their pull-down menu for Akorn or Kamado.

Post Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:44 am
jayeffel well done
well done

blackdogbbq wrote:
It does seem more than a defect. And it seems hard to believe that Lowe's would refuse to take back a defective product/dented product and the manufacturer denies responsibility of either. Especially on the first day of use!

I'll wait to hear back from Char Griller. Have not heard anything yet. I couldn't even register the product on their website because there was no choice in their pull-down menu for Akorn or Kamado.

Char Griller is usually very good at responding to issues. May not be the answer you'd like form them though! The Akorn is a good grill, don't use mine nearly enough! Have that and a Chargriller duo with offset, now sold as trio.
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion