Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Char Griller King Griller

Char Griller King Griller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 04, 2013 12:05 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

A bit confused here ( actually a common occurrence !); on craigslist there is a listing for a Kamado style grill, the picture depicts what look like a BGE shape, but color is not BGE. I contacted the seller and she said it is a Char Griller King Griller. The Char Griller site shows a King Griller as a dou style. Which is it?

Not a bad price except will be a day trip to drive to and from where it currently is located.
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sat May 04, 2013 12:44 pm
sroach well done
well done

So some quick google searches lead me to believe there is a Char Griller king "kooker" which looks to be thier version of a ceramic cooker like the bge. And to add to th cusp there is a king griller which is a normal char griller style barbq.

Post Sat May 04, 2013 2:52 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

To add more confusion maybe, the CharGriller kamado-BGE Style - is called the Akorn. But I did see some pictures of a CharGriller kamado with name as King Griller!! For $150 it would be nice; except the drive to and fro to pick it up. Be a nice drive though, my wife has never been in that area of Pa and my travels there are limited also.

Take a look at this site, among the pictures are two gril'ls with name shown as King Griller; one looks like the Duo and one thee Akorn!!http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?ga=us27&q=char+griller+king+griller+parts
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sat May 04, 2013 4:10 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

jayeffel wrote:
To add more confusion maybe, the CharGriller kamado-BGE Style - is called the Akorn. But I did see some pictures of a CharGriller kamado with name as King Griller!! For $150 it would be nice; except the drive to and fro to pick it up. Be a nice drive though, my wife has never been in that area of Pa and my travels there are limited also.

Take a look at this site, among the pictures are two gril'ls with name shown as King Griller; one looks like the Duo and one thee Akorn!!http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?ga=us27&q=char+griller+king+griller+parts

I think it may be because someone at the BuyCheapr website failed Marketing 101, or maybe just didn't take the time to read the product info? Nothing like a kool kamado King-Griller kooker! :twisted:

I've heard it called an Akorn, or just a CharGriller Kamado but never a "King Griller". I think someone made a mistake, like mistaking "Char-Griller" and "King-Griller".

Now - to thicken the plot a bit, check this out: I was in Lowe's yesterday and wanted to look up a price on the CG Kamado, but they no longer had it in inventory. And by this I mean it wasn't out of stock, but it had completely been removed from the system. This is especially weird because I just had them look it up 2 months ago.

(And as an aside: I sold 2 Weber Genesis grills while I was there. :D I also got to look at a Char-Broil kamado and one of their smokers, too. The kamado to me seemed like a cheap BGE knockoff - not nearly as good, no real insulation, and priced as high as a Large BGE but with what looked like a Medium BGE's capacity. )

On top of that, I just checked the CharGriller site and the kamado is no longer in their online catalog, either. All I can find on the site are kamado accessories, not the grill itself.

This makes me wonder if CharGriller may have pulled the kamado from the market. Any thoughts?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat May 04, 2013 5:37 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Well, they still have one at our Lowe's in south central pa.
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sat May 04, 2013 11:29 pm
JD_Smokes well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
Nothing like a kool kamado King-Griller kooker!

Yeah, I thought about buying one of those Webermann Primo Kettle grills. :twisted:
Eating meat is murder.....mmmm, tasty, tasty murder.
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Post Mon May 06, 2013 8:15 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Jay, it sounds like you have a good reason for a road trip!

Most of the feedback about the Akorn that I saw seemed to be pretty positive, so if it has indeed been pulled from the market that would be a bit puzzling. Almost makes me wonder if it was recalled for something.

Post Mon May 06, 2013 1:59 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

If indeed it is an Akron sure is a good reason. Haven't heard back form the seller after asking a few questions. Maybe already gone.

Saw an Akorn at $175- but cannot locate that ad now!
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Wed May 08, 2013 8:13 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

After checking with the seller and seeing one at Gander Mountain, Char-Griller does have a King Griller that looks like an Akorn, no Akorn there to compare. Would the King Griller be a test run before the Akorn came out? Anyway, seems a road trip is in order. :wink:
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Thu May 09, 2013 9:31 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

BJ's Wholesale sells Kingsford brand grills. Last week they had Kamado that was a Chargriller Kamado Kooker with the Kingsford brand on it. If I'm not mistaken it did say King Griller on it. It was the exact same model only difference the Chargriller one was $30 cheaper at Lowes.

Post Thu May 09, 2013 4:00 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

I posted a link in the Chargriller section that has a few video's of a guy that bought one and his reviews of it, thats for the AKORN.
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Sat May 11, 2013 2:19 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

I made the trip to pick up this Char-griller King Griller. About 2 hour drive each way.

Since I have a Tom-Tom, I entered the address of the seller and went. Of course, the Tom-Tom never gained access to a satellite until I was on the return trip. I had to rely on what I remembered from checking Mapquest. Got their with no problems.

Picked up the grill, paid for it, tied it down good, and made the return trip.

The grill is a bit worn, but looks decent. A good bit of surface rust and such.

Did I make a good deal? Well, the grill was $150.00; I spent $66.40 on gas and $35.81 on food for this trip. Not too bad.

BUT, my truck is not running, three trucks I asked about borrowing from friends were not available. I promised the seller I would pick it up today, so broke down and rented one-a 2013 Ram. Didn't get as good gas mileage as I thought I might. So, adding all up I spent a little more than I could have got an Akorn at Lowes- :( . The only difference I see in the King Griller versus the AKorn is the top air damper is not as tight as I saw in the Akorn I looked at.

Oh, well I got it! Would have been a decent buy if I had not had to rent a truck.
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Sat May 11, 2013 7:55 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sorry to read that you got nickel-and-dimed on the deal but I'll bet a couple of good cooks will make it a distance memory.

And since you spent $35.81 on a 4-hour round trip I see that you don't starve when you're on the road. :wink:

Post Sat May 11, 2013 8:33 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

It was a bit longer actually, just gave round figures before. Took about five and a half hours up and back counting stops, and my wife was withy me so that added to meal costs. Went up one way and came back another-saw parts of Pennsylvania I never saw before so it was worth the trip. :)

Some added information: I compared the information that came with the Char-Griller King Griller Kamado Kooker Model #16619 and the online Manual for the Char-Griller Akorn on the Char-Griller website. The main differences I see are the part numbers for most of the grills. The parts that have the same numbers are: the warming rack, grate lifter, fire grate, Axle, 8" wheel. 3" caster wheel, the bottom shelf, and H=hubcap. The only other differences I see are the Akorn grill has an O ring around the upper damper where the King Griller has none (at least not on parts list), and the utility hooks on the Akorn are on the outside of the side shelves, on the King-Griller they are on the sides.

If as I expect, the King Griller damper may be too loose, maybe iI can replace with an Akorn damper. Right now it is pretty loose, looks like it will not control airflow much. I'll see if I can tighten it up first.

Now- to clean it up some and fix a few minor things- then see what I can do as far as cooking. :bbq:

Added notes: Whoever put this grill together erred, they put the main body sideways to the wheels- doesn't affect the operation though. And per Char-Griller Customer service the King Griller sold by Meijers , Gander Mountian etc. is identical to the Akorn grill sold at Lowe's.
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Return to General Discussion