Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Mushroom Asparagus Quiche

Mushroom Asparagus Quiche

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 02, 2013 8:50 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Mrs. Chicken recently came across this Taste of Home recipe so we thought we'd give it a try this past Monday, but on the grill instead of in the oven.

Since I also grilled Sunday night I got a jump on things by prepping the asparagus after supper.

Monday afternoon she put the quiche together. It uses canned crescent rolls instead of a pastry dough so that makes it pretty easy, and after they were pressed into a 10" skillet she added the mustard.

I reheated the asparagus by tossing it in with the mushrooms just before they were done being sauteed, and then the filling was mixed and added to the pan. We omitted the onions because frankly, the reason I've never cared for quiche is that the ones I've had in the past have always been way too oniony.

It took about 15 minutes longer than expected because I misread the cooking temp as 325 when it should've been 375, but eventually the "knife test" turned out OK.

Even with indirect heat the crust bottom got close to being burned; I attribute that to the heat retention properties of cast iron as the recipe calls for a pie pan. It had good flavor and grilling the asparagus made a real difference.

Post Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 pm
sroach well done
well done

They say real men don't eat Quiche, then call me a fake man, cuz I would eat that..

That looks good... How did it come out?

Post Thu May 02, 2013 2:59 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

sroach wrote:
They say real men don't eat Quiche, then call me a fake man, cuz I would eat that..

+1 - I'd definitely eat that too (and I often do). Great job, Brad! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 02, 2013 6:48 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Looks like a really neat new pizza of sorts to me, Brad. I like! More than the CI, the blackening effect probably comes from all the oil the oil they use in the crescent dough.
Got beer???

Post Fri May 03, 2013 12:14 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

sroach wrote:

It was actually quite good...and not too oniony! :lol:

Post Fri May 03, 2013 8:55 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Excellent looking Quiche!!! You can never lose your man card if you do Quiche on the grill. :wink: Anything on the grill is manly. I had roasted pink "peeps" (you know, those sugar coated marshmallow duck looking thingies) that were toasted over lump charcoal a coupla months back. It caramelized the sugar on the outside while leaving the inside a gooey goodness. :lol: Excellent, and manly as all get out!!! :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion