Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chicken & potatoes with basil & oregano

Chicken & potatoes with basil & oregano

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 01, 2013 9:41 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This started as a way to fix some grilled cheesy potatoes like EddieK did a few weeks back, and I decided to go with an Italian theme.

Chicken thighs were the entree and after salting them well I put some basil and oregano under the skin.
Image Image Image

To give the salt time to work I put them in the fridge overnight and they took on an almost cured appearance.

I put a layer of sliced russet potatoes in my grill pan and topped them with the herbs and some salt and pepper.
Image Image

Can't have cheesy potatoes without cheese, right?
Image Image

Then I added a second layer of potatoes and some more cheese, and finished it with some grated parmesan, some shredded herbs, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Image Image

There was enough room on the 26" Weber to allow everything to cook indirect, but any more than 4 thighs would've made things a tight fit. The potatoes went on first for about 30 minutes and then I put the thighs on.
Image Image

I was surprised that the potatoes didn't have stronger flavors of basil and oregano, as it seemed like I added plenty. In fact, the strongest herb flavor was found in the chicken skin. The potatoes themselves were reasonably tender but I didn't get as much browning on the bottom layer as I'd hoped. Still, with some grilled sourdough bread it was a good Sunday supper.

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a different kind of spread, Brad. Looks great, though! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I bet that chicken was screaming with flavor, Brad! I like your gourmet approach with the herbs and seasonings. Nice take on the taters too. :D
Got beer???

sroach well done
well done

Looks great! Looks like a lot work too..

Awsome...awesome..

BuckeyeRob rare
rare

Wow. Impressive spread!
Rob

"Vegetarian: an old Indian word for bad hunter"

BBQ Deputy

sroach wrote:
Looks great! Looks like a lot work too..
Yeah, it did take a little bit of time due to the slicing of the potatoes and the cheese, etc. but overall it wasn't too bad. Prepping the chicken the night before definitely helped.

wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

That looks great. Can you give more info on the potatoes? Mainly time and temp.

BBQ Deputy

Wiseguy, they were on the grill for about 90 minutes at around 360-375, which is my preferred temp for indirect chicken. They'd actually gotten nice and brown by about an hour in but I let them go until the chicken was done and the top didn't get too dark for me. The slices were generally in the 1/4" to 3/8" range because I cut them by hand but if I had a mandoline I would've gone thinner; maybe 1/8" to 3/16".

wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Thank you for the info

Dyal_SC well done
well done

I'm gonna hafta try that basil trick sometime... Looks great!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion