Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The Frozen Pizza Experiment

The Frozen Pizza Experiment

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 01, 2013 5:38 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Ever wonder what a frozen pizza might be like if done on the Barbie? I have, and decided to share my observations with you. I selected my favorite, a store generic, that is not too dissimilar from the "Freschetta" brand. I was running really low on energy yesterday, and figured the time was ripe for it. That, and something about combining pepperoni, Italian sausage, and ground beef I could not resist. Here is a pic of the box:

Sure doesn't look as pretty once taken out of the box though:

Hmmmm.... Think I'll doctor this up a bit with some sliced red bell pepper, olives, and pickled jalapenos:

So far so good. Let's get it started. I thought to add a little mesquite to this indirect cook:

After about 35 minutes of a lower temp with smoke, pizza was done:

Let's get this pizza on the plate and try it. I must say, of coarse nothing beats the experience of a homemade pizza, but taking a frozen variety to the pit sure takes it up a few notches. The difference is certainly significant enough to warrant doing it again (and again).

Just a little sacrificial offering to the pizza gods. :D

Got beer???

Post Wed May 01, 2013 9:23 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I don't eat frozen pizza as much as I used to but this looks like it's definitely worth trying.

Since most frozen pizzas call for temps in the 400-425 range, how much lower did you go and how crisp did the crust become?

Post Wed May 01, 2013 11:24 am
tex_toby well done
well done

You had me until OLIVES! :) I have done frozen pizzas on the grill before and they definitely are better than out of the oven. Your's looks great!
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you Brad & Toby :D

Brad--Box directions call for 425 degrees. I actually went about 325-350. The general rule of thumb is that the higher the heat, the crustier the dough. However, one can still achieve a certain level of crustiness by increasing the time. Moreover, if the dough has a considerable amount of fat or sugar in it, you definitely want a lower temp so as not to burn it. My primary goal here was to extend the time to infuse the pizza with more mesquite smoke. More flavor seems to develop within the dough as well. A few extra minutes actually produced a mildly crisp bottom with a pillowy interior.

Toby-- Sorry about the olives, brother! :lol: I see I am in great company then for having tried this experiment. My assessment is that a grilled frozen pizza is at least as good as many take outs (and can be a good deal cheaper, too)!
Got beer???

Post Wed May 01, 2013 2:44 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'll have Toby's share of the olives. :D

The first thing I thought when I read the title of this post was "It'll depend on the brand of pizza". Other than that, frozen pizza on the grill is a great thing indeed. Thanks for the great pics, beercuer! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
I'll have Toby's share of the olives. :D

The first thing I thought when I read the title of this post was "It'll depend on the brand of pizza". Other than that, frozen pizza on the grill is a great thing indeed. Thanks for the great pics, beercuer! :D

Thanks, CBG :D

Well, looks like I've actually come late to the party. :lol: Glad you liked my stab at it.
Got beer???

Post Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 pm
BuckeyeRob rare
rare

Best looking frozen pizza I've ever seen!!
Rob

"Vegetarian: an old Indian word for bad hunter"

Post Wed May 01, 2013 10:24 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

BuckeyeRob wrote:
Best looking frozen pizza I've ever seen!!

Most kind words indeed, Rob. Thank you!

I can say it was the best frozen pizza I've ever eaten. :lol:
Got beer???

Post Fri May 03, 2013 8:40 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Everything is better with jalapenos! :D
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri May 03, 2013 9:29 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
Everything is better with jalapenos! :D

Except maybe ice cream..... :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion