Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Old School Brisket (W/Aaron Franklin's BBQ Sauce)

Old School Brisket (W/Aaron Franklin's BBQ Sauce)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Griffin well done
well done

The other week, we bought a 100% grass fed, full packer that weighed in at 5.46 lbs. I eagerly waited cooking it all week. Taking a cue from Aaron Franklin, I decided to go old school and season it with nothing but 50/50% salt and pepper. No fancy rub, no slather, no injection, no marinade, nothing. Just salt and pepper.

On at 11 am, grate temp 250, mesquite chips and pecan and hickory chunks for smoke.

Brisket was never wrapped in foil or butcher paper. Tossed in some sausage as it neared 180.

Finished at 6:30 (7.5 hours)

FTC'ed for 30 minutes while Mrs. G got the cream spinach finished up

Look at that slice from the point!

Plated up with some sausage and creamed spinach. Not pictured was a big ole bowl of boracho beans.

I've got to say that this might just have been the best brisket I have ever done in my life. Fork tender, just the right amount of smoke. And forget ever using anything but salt and pepper for a rub from now on. I am sold on that being the way to go. Didn't get any smoke ring, however and I'm not sure why. Went on the egg straight from the fridge and there was plenty of smoke. Oh well, that's just for aesthetics anyway. Loved how fast this cooked as well. 7.5 hours? Much better than an overnighter, easily cooked on a weekend. And way more than 2 people could eat. We had it for dinner Sunday and I think there is still half left. This was Mrs. G's plate, btw. I had some of the sauce on the side, but it didn't really need it. What a great Saturday!

Aaron Franklin’s BBQ Sauce
•1/2 lb butter
•1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
•1 1/2 cup s ketchup (not high fructose corn syrup)
•1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
•2 oz light brown sugar
•1 tsp kosher salt
•1 tsp black pepper
•a little less than 1 tsp garlic powder
•a little less than 1 tsp chili powder
•1/2 lemon squeezed

1.Melt butter and saute onions until soft and translucent.
2.Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3.Serve warm with bbq.
We found his sauce to be on the sweet side, so we added in some drippings from the brisket, Frank’s Hot Sauce, more black pepper, some red pepper flakes, ancho and chipotle powder. Feel free to adjust to suit your tastes. Next time, I think I’ll cut back on the butter as well.

sroach well done
well done

It might be one of the nicest looking brisket I have ever seen.. Damn why did I look at your post at 11:45...

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Roach, it wouldn't have mattered...I just finished a sandwich and am hungry all over again. :wink:

Griffin, could you detect any taste difference from the grass-feeding?

Griffin well done
well done

Not really any taste difference. I wonder if it attributed to it being so tender. That and it being a smaller brisket.

BuckeyeRob rare
rare

Very nice! Been contemplating doing another brisket soon....this post just forced my hand!!
Rob

"Vegetarian: an old Indian word for bad hunter"

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I'm with Sroach on this one-- that is for sure one of the finest briskets I've ever spied, too, Griff. Funny, because much of the time, I'll do my tritips the same way with coarse S&P and get that same out-of-this-world enjoyment.

Oh yeah... There 'll be a new Griffin come to town-- a Blake Griffin, and he'll be accompanied by his side man Paul, Chris Paul. :wink:
Got beer???

Griffin well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Oh yeah... There 'll be a new Griffin come to town-- a Blake Griffin, and he'll be accompanied by his side man Paul, Chris Paul. :wink:

No relation. :lol: To which team? The Lakers. How did you like that series? Go Spurs Go!

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job, Griffin! Good thing I took lunch early.... :twisted:

EDIT: I took a closer look and that brisket looks even better. But in the first pic, what's that on the left? "Cured and Smoked Pork Shoulder"? I'd love to know what that's like too. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

jstewart well done
well done

Griffin,

That brisket sure turned out well :D :D Reminds me what I need to do some time....by the way, what was the internal temp when you finished?
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Joe Grod medium
medium

Excellent looking brisket. I also try not to add too much when smoking a brisket, since it doesn't seem to add to the flavor of the final product. This is one I oven roasted, looks like your briskets cousin. I rubbed it with some gravy master and sprinkled with salt and pepper and sprinkled with a little garlic an onion powders to flavor the gravy.

Joe

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
beercuer wrote:

No relation. :lol: To which team? The Lakers. How did you like that series? Go Spurs Go!

Go ahead... enjoy it now while you still can, Griff. Once the Clippers get to San Antonio... :twisted:
Got beer???

Griffin well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy When I was getting that brisket, I was talking to the guy and we had talked about health and stuff. I asked about his bacon and he mentioned that he had this bacon from the pork shoulder and did I want that. I said "no, I'll just take the regular stuff". Either he didn't hear me or something, but when I opened up my bags when I got home, I had that and no bacon. Didn't really taste (or have the texture) like bacon. More like a smoked ham if that makes sense. Just little strips of smoked pork shoulder.

jstewart This one went to 196 before a toothpick would slide in like buttah. I've had them go as low as 190 and as high as 205.

beercuer We'll just have to wait and see.

jstewart well done
well done

jstewart This one went to 196 before a toothpick would slide in like buttah. I've had them go as low as 190 and as high as 205.

Griffin,

Thanks, just wondering...I've seen a wide spread of temps also....like I said earlier, it sure looked gooooooood
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

2beast medium-well
medium-well

Beautiful 8)

Dyal_SC well done
well done

Can't wait for my trip to TX in a coupla weeks. :D Gonna indulge myself in brisket. Great job, Griffin!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion