Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hog Sauce Ham

Hog Sauce Ham

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:35 pm
BuckeyeRob rare
rare

Weather here in the south didn't cooperate today, so I thought I'd post one of my favorite creations - Hog Sauce Ham

Start with a bone-in spiral sliced ham...then proceed to stuff it with pineapple slices.

After stuffing, set it in an aluminum pan and cover the ham in a combination of honey and orange marmalade!

Now comes the odd part (as if its not odd enough so far)...pour a couple of cans of Coke in the bottom of the pan. And yes, this recipe was created by me here in Atlanta, so it MUST be Coke :wink:

Set up the grill for indirect over a medium heat and add a little smoke wood for flavor. As the ham cooks, the honey, marmalade and Coke combine to form the hog sauce. Baste the ham during the cook with the hog sauce.

Results are spectacular!
Attachments
E6E28F07-9E39-49FD-9CBF-871934BF68C6.JPG
E6E28F07-9E39-49FD-9CBF-871934BF68C6.JPG (64.33 KiB) Viewed 697 times
Rob

"Vegetarian: an old Indian word for bad hunter"

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 am
sroach well done
well done

That is a mountain of goodness right there..

I don't think Coke on Ham is all that strange, I have used it in the past, something about the sugar in it..

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Marvelous looking, Rob! Orange marmalade is getting harder and harder to find around these parts anymore, but I luv it. I once created a BBQ sauce with it and honey, and so can appreciate your sentiments in that particular combination. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Unusual and interesting, Rob! I'll have to buy you a Pepsi sometime... :twisted: :wink:

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:33 pm
BuckeyeRob rare
rare

Beercuer: Something about the marmalade and the pieces of oranges in it sets it apart. I've used different types of jelly and jam, but it doesn't cook the same or give the same flavor

Screaming: Being from Ohio, I'm very familiar with Pepsi. It's good....but nothing like a Coke and a :D
Rob

Post Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:45 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

BuckeyeRob wrote:
Beercuer: Something about the marmalade and the pieces of oranges in it sets it apart. I've used different types of jelly and jam, but it doesn't cook the same or give the same flavor

Screaming: Being from Ohio, I'm very familiar with Pepsi. It's good....but nothing like a Coke and a :D

I hear you, brother. I have an idea. I was fairly jumping up and down when I made my BBQ sauce! :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:45 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great looking ham, Rob! Actually, in Steven's books he's mentioned that soft drinks are often the "secret ingredients" in a lot of sauces. Coke, Dr. Pepper, root beer and other soft drinks are no surprise to me. I use all of them in different sauces when I'm in the mood (or when I have a can in the fridge).

Hey - I wonder how the ham would taste if you used Dr. Pepper instead of Coke? (Or would that be sacreligious too?) :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dr. Pepper would be a Texas thing. :wink:

Post Wed May 01, 2013 6:51 pm
BuckeyeRob rare
rare

Not a huge Dr. Pepper fan...but that would be an interesting experiment.
Rob

Post Fri May 03, 2013 8:40 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I'm going to try this soon! Excellent! 8)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion