Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilled White Wings

Grilled White Wings

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:54 am
Griffin well done
well done

A guy on another forum by the name Lawn Ranger has been posting these up lately. They reminded me of an appetizer called Crazy Wings at a place called George's Bar in Waco (if you know Pat Green, you've heard the song about the place) that I may have gone to from time to time back in my college days. 'Cept they fry theirs and LR does his on the grill. I thought I'd give them a shot. Here were the raws. I used chicken tenders instead of chicken breasts cuz I'm lazy and didn't feel like cutting them up. Totally forgot that you have to remove the tendon from a tenderloin and that made it just about as much work.

The chicken was wrapped around a hunk of Monterrey Jack and pickled jalapeno slices, then wrapped in bacon. Then it marinated in 1 cup of Chardonnay, 2/3 cup of oil and some salt and pepper for 1 hour or so. I set up the grill with the Adjustable Rig for a raised direct cook at 400F.

A little while in, cheese oozing out.

Done

Plated up with some Brussel sprouts.

Even though I think mine could use some work, they came out really good. You could definitely taste a hint of wine from the marinade. Unfortunately, my horrible wrapping job allowed a lot of the cheese to melt out. I think next time, I'll wrap the bacon perpindicular to the way I rolled the chicken up to block those big holes I had. I'll probably also go with chicken breasts, cut them smaller and make them more bite sized. Think appetizers instead of meal sized. And I think I'll do them indirect. There was a lot of dripping down onto the coals resulting in a ton of smoke during this cook. Definitely gonna work on these and get them perfect, but LR is onto something here.

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I think you're on to something rather spectacular there, Griff. I could sure see myself at one of your parties, gobbling them all up on you. Man, those are killer Brussels with the added bacon! :D
Got beer???

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:37 am
Griffin well done
well done

Thank you. Would love to have you over for a party. As for the Brussels sprouts...everything is better with bacon! We actually cooked them twice this week they were so good. Who knew I would like them?

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:35 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks like something I need to try! The wine marinade sounds great! Did you drink it after you took the chicken out? ;)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:22 pm
Griffin well done
well done

No, but I did partake of some that wasn't contaminated by chicken nastiness. :wink:

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:49 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Griffin,

Those look pretty good. I have to admit, I ate a little while ago and now I'm hungry again. I sent the link to my wife asking if "they look good" and it didn't take long for a "yes" answer. Guess what we're going to have to try?
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:34 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Mrs. Chicken has imposed a chardonnay ban at the house so I'd need to find a substitute. :wink:

Return to General Discussion