Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The start of my new table..

The start of my new table..

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:55 pm
sroach well done
well done

So I started my stone table.. below is the idea I found on this board and another board, it's a great looking table so I am stealing the idea..

Here is my start, doesn't look like a lot, but it's actually half done:

So the left side will be counter space which comes out to 3.5' X 3.5' the right side will house the egg and have a wrap around counter.

I am really excited about the Electric plug I am adding (that's the yellow cable int he middle) conduit will run up and an external outlet box will be mounted flush on the counter.

I have a ton of photos and will post some more as it comes together.

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:27 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looking great so far, sroach! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress as it comes together. 8)
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:56 am
tbk420 well done
well done

Looks like a great start. I actually used that exact photo as a guide in designing my Egg space, too.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:42 am
sroach well done
well done

Thanks guy, I am really excited to get it done, but want to do it right.

TBK, I am not sure I ever saw your table if you wouldn't mind sharing a picture of it?

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:06 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

sroach wrote:
That's the right attitude! I'll bet you wind up with a really nice table. And since you'll have power, you could even sacrifice some shelf space for a small fridge if you wanted to.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I see, I like. Nice work so far Sroach. Those are clay and not concrete bricks, right? The reason I mention that is because I am aware that concrete can explode chunks if subject to high enough heat, though I do not know if the egg would get to that high enough temp. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:04 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
I see, I like. Nice work so far Sroach. Those are clay and not concrete bricks, right? The reason I mention that is because I am aware that concrete can explode chunks if subject to high enough heat, though I do not know if the egg would get to that high enough temp. :D

Those bricks in the top pic (the other guy's) don't look like clay bricks, but rather concrete (or cinder bricks). Sroach's bricks look like clay, though. (I've got a pile of both in my yard, though the cinder ones are crumbling).

Cinder blocks have a habit cracking or shattering under high heat, but all concrete seems to have a bit of that tendency. I've found that both like to crumble as well, but that's normally due to frost - especially a lot of freezing/thawing cycles. In fact, I've found over the years that when it comes to any kind of brick, cracking due to frost is a lot more common than cracking due to heat.

But the heat it takes to shatter or crack a concrete block is pretty high. My fire pit is made from cinder block and I've measured temps of 750° internally when I'm burning scraps of wood like oak or tamarack. But with the shell of the egg moderating those temps, I don't think an Egg would get hot enough that it would crack concrete, let alone clay bricks.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:10 pm
sroach well done
well done

Some great points you guys are bringing up, I do wonder how hot the outside of the egg gets. when I am cranked up cooking pizza (700) it doesn't feel like the outside is nearly as hot as the inside.

Quick search on the internet found some folks have cracked concrete pavers, but mostly they were thinner blocks 1.5" landscape blocks. I am using 12X8X4' blocks so 4 Inches wide. I think I will play it safe and hit up the fireplace & hearth place and pick up a few firebricks and build a base under the blocks.

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:49 am
tbk420 well done
well done

sroach wrote:

TBK, I am not sure I ever saw your table if you wouldn't mind sharing a picture of it?

Sure. But what started out as a "table" sort of got away from me:

Having used a wooden table for years, I cannot tell you how much I love the extra work space. Looking forward to seeing your finished product! :D

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:04 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Textbook case of "scope creep", TBK! :wink:

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Textbook case of "scope creep", TBK! :wink:

Well, there's at least one table in that. It's just that it's really big. :twisted:

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:19 pm
sroach well done
well done

Holy Crap TBK.. That is friggen awesome..

I am going outside to throw rocks at my table after seeing yours :shock:

Post Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:43 pm
tbk420 well done
well done

HAHAHA - thank you. While it is very nice to have, trust me when I say that my better half didn't seem to view it as the necessity I thought it was! :lol:

Can't wait to see the finished product, sroach. As well as the food that comes off it! :twisted:

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:28 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Niiiice, sroach!! I was thinking about going with that same design, but decided that I wanted mine to be mobile.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:37 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
Niiiice, sroach!! I was thinking about going with that same design, but decided that I wanted mine to be mobile.

"Mobile" is kind of tough to do with brick or concrete. I'd love to see someone try it, though! :twisted:

Next

Return to General Discussion