Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Garlic-brined pork chops

Garlic-brined pork chops

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:14 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Normally I don't brine thicker pork chops but decided to give it a try with some bone-in chops I found in the freezer.

The brine was a simple mix of salt, Weber seasoned salt, pepper, and water but I grated in a few garlic cloves to see how much flavor they'd add. This was done Tuesday morning but the cook got delayed to Wednesday night, so they had plenty of brine time.

I started them with a light sear, used indirect heat for most of the cook, and then seared again at the end.

I was a little surprised by the small pink area but the chops were definitely done and quite moist. But what I didn't expect was the almost complete absence of garlic flavor; the brine certainly smelled of it but the chops had more of an essence than a taste.

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:14 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

That's a really nice looking sweat you got on your finished chops, Brad. I've got a hankering for some now. I bet those would go mighty fine with your mac 'n cheese with mushrooms! :D
Got beer???

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 am
Griffin well done
well done

Nice chops, Brad! I've also found that just adding extra flavors to a brine don't often carry through to the meat. It sounds like a good idea, it just doesn't seem to work. But the brine definitely keeps it from drying out.

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:51 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks wonderful! I only brined pork chops once or twice. Is there a trick to the amount of brining time needed? I remember one time I had them brining overnight and it ended up being way too salty. Maybe mine weren't thick enough...I dunno.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:30 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've run into the saltiness issue before and decided that I had simply made the brine too salty for the amount of time it was going to be in use. I start with Cook's Illustrated's standard recipe of 1 cup of table salt per gallon of water and decrease the salt amount a little bit.

I wonder if it was a chemistry issue that kept the garlic flavor from getting into the meat. I've noticed I do seem to get better results if the brine includes a liquid other than water.

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

I've never brined mine mainly cause I'm not a good plan ahead cook but it is definitely something I need to do better of! Cook looks great Brad!

Return to General Discussion