Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion NOVA LOX trial run

NOVA LOX trial run

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:43 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

chrish wrote:
well it had the texture of dried beef, i was comparing it to hot smoked salmon
Is lox supposed to be somewhat like that? I don't know if I've ever had it before; I've had smoked salmon but don't know if it was cold or hot-smoked.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 am
Joe Grod medium
medium

Pardon my imposition, but permit me to inject my interpretation on the subject of smoked salmon. As a 63yr old male living in the Northeast, which is so multi ethinical, I have had the privilege of having almost every type of smoked food available. As a kid, there were three types of salmons available in the specialty shops, "KIPPERED" which is hot smoked, "LOX" which is unsmoked salted sides and "NOVA" which are sides that are brined and then cold smoked. To my taste "NOVA" is preferred and when properly sliced, they are velvety, ribbons of delicately smoked goodness that melt in your mouth. Not anywhere near salmon jerky or salmon candy, which I have bought at Whole Foods market.

So in my opinion "LOX" is salty and inedible. "COLD SMOKED SALMON" (NOVA) and "HOT SMOKED SALMON" (KIPPERED) which anyone with a smoker can produce, are what I prefer on my bagel.

These days there are so many styles of Smoked Salmon (Scottish, Irish, Norweigan, New Zealand, Gaspe, Western king, etc.) each with different levels of smoke and salt. Also I have found that imported smoked salmon from Scotland, Ireland, etc. are nitrate free, whereas most Amercan produced products are not. Lots of supermarkets including Costco, Sams, BJs offer packages of smoked salmon, but read the packages. Some of the stuff has been previously frozen, some made in China, some with high sodium counts.

Joe G :)

Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:05 pm
BBQ Deputy

There's something fishy about your post, Joe... :wink:

Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:32 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

Like the one that got away.

Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 pm
chrish well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
chrish wrote:
Is lox supposed to be somewhat like that? I don't know if I've ever had it before; I've had smoked salmon but don't know if it was cold or hot-smoked.

look at the pics i posted, the one that looks like there in a brine, all that water is from the meat its self. so its very firm almost solid.
My photobucket Q-view album, 167 pic's

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z315 ... 83/Q-view/

Post Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:35 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

The AMNPS just showed up the other day. May take it out for a spin on some cheese this weekend.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:51 pm
Joe Grod medium
medium

chrish wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:
chrish wrote:

I had a chance to make my monthly trip up to Fairway Market today to purchase some smoked salmon. It's about 50 miles miles door to door and I would go more often if the store were closer. I took some pictures of the smoked salmon in the case and being cut. Today they had their house brand, Scotch, Irish, western and Norwegian. I bought 1/4lb of the Norwegian @8.99 for 1/4lb. As usual the slices were lite velvet ribbons of smokey goodness. After I got home, i took a couple more pictures, one of which shows a slice of salmon held up to the light to show how thin the slices are.

Post Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:54 am
BBQ Deputy

Nice score, Joe! I know what you mean about distance - my favorite butcher shops are each over 30 miles from my house.

Previous

Return to General Discussion